Chapter 31: Proof

Chapter Thirty-One
PROOF

Amy and Matthew walked hand-in-hand into the restaurant they'd organised to meet Pippa and Nick in. Pippa waved them over eagerly, and Amy and Matthew walked over to them, bypassing the waiter waiting to check them in. Being the gentleman, Matthew held out Amy's seat for her, making her smile innocently. As he sat down, Amy began the night's conversation.

"Where's Nick?" she asked Pippa curiously.

"Oh, he's just gone to the loo," Pippa answered distractedly. "He'll be back in a minute. How are you two? It feels like it's been ages since I've seen you."

Amy took a quick glance to the seat beside her to Matthew, a guilty expression on her face. Pippa was right. Over the past few weeks, Amy had basically resided at Matthew's house. She spent almost every minute with him, laughing and smiling, except when she had to concentrate on her studying. The only time in the past few weeks when they'd been separated was during their lectures, but immediately afterward, they'd meet up and spend the rest of the evening studying in the library. During the week, Amy still slept in her dormitory, but by the time she got in at night, Pippa was either asleep herself or would be staying the night in Nick's dorm. Amy would then wake before or after Pippa when she was there, and neither would have spoken a single word to the other. Amy spent the nights on the weekend at Matthew's house, side-by-side in bed.

Instead of Amy, Matthew replied. "Well, I'm still trying to persuade Amy on letting me move to Australia with her."

"Matt," and whined, "not now!"

"Amy," interjected Pippa, "Why are you so strongly against it? Clearly Matt wants to be with you."

"Exactly," said Matthew.

"Guys, I don't want to talk about it just now. Another time. Please."

It was just at that moment, when Matthew moved his hand to rest atop Amy's thigh, which Nick returned and sat down beside Pippa. He greeted everyone, but Pippa ignored him and continued with the interrogation of Amy.

"Take my situation, for example. I'm going back to Perth for a month whilst Nick goes back to Brisbane. During that time, we'll look for a house somewhere in Brisbane - I've always wanted to live in Queensland - and then I'll move up there when its time. But you two are different, still. You two won't need to be away from each other for a month because Matt's already near his family here. Your situation's a little different."

"Pippa! Not now, please."

"Ugh, whatever. Waiter!"

A waiter came and a few moments later, everyone had ordered their meals and had received drinks. Whilst waiting, meaningless chit-chat started between the two couples, each having their own news to share and finding the other's incredibly interesting. Amy found the story about Nick being questioned by police about a crime especially interesting.

"He asked me where a specific lecture hall was," was Nick's answer when Amy asked why he had become involved. "Witnesses saw me and the police rounded me up. It was quite frightening - I thought they were speaking to me about Pippa and stuff." With this, Nick referred to the fact that it was against Yale rules for someone to sleep in a dorm that they were not allocated. "Turned out that the guy had a restraining order on him and he wasn't allowed near his ex-girlfriend."

Mostly, Pippa and Amy gossiped with many interjections from both Matthew and Nick. They spoke of gossip in the news, family affairs back home and Amy shared the information on her sister and Donna's progressing pregnancies.

"Both are so excited about the births. Although, I don't know how Allie's going to cope with twins - she was never very good at coping with pain. When we got the vaccinations at school, she'd be in 'pain' for weeks and weeks." At this, Amy rolled her eyes.