Chapter 22- In The Land of Monsters

“So, who taught you how to bake?” I ask, desperately trying to break the deafening silence that has fallen upon us. But, it seems like nothing I say will get Drew to talk to me because all I’m met with is a loud silence. Yeah, you know it’s awkward when even the silence seems so loud that it’ll burst your ear drums. I can just picture the look on Drew’s face, blank and dull, showing no emotion whatsoever.

                “Wow, senior year yet it feels like we haven’t even been in school,” I try once again. Well who am I kidding, it does seem like we’ve rarely been inside that dreadful building, this coming from someone who actually enjoys learning. It’s a bad thing I can’t see Drew’s face because then I would, at least, have some clue to just what the hell he’s thinking. Nothing, no answer and the silence just seems to be screaming at my face because it’s that awkward silence. The only reaction I notice is his muscles tensing, since our backs are pressed against one another, as the door opens and is slammed shut seconds later.

                “Khloe, keep your mouth shut and don’t say anything,” I hear as Drew hisses at me. Though I can’t see his face I know that a serious expression has been formed by his features. I grab our joined hands and squeeze tightly to let him know I’ll do what he asks, our hands make a small clinking sound at the motion. Yeah, if I ever pictured myself handcuffed to Drew, I really thought it would be under completely different circumstances. This is the second time I’ve been handcuffed in the span of twenty four hours and no, I’m not beginning to feel special. Suddenly, we’re hauled up off the ground by the arms a bit painfully, and I continue to hold on to the blue eyed boy that envelopes me in a complete sense of safety.

                “You really need to work on hiding better,” a cruel snarl is heard from the man facing us, only adding to his sinister demeanor. Dark brown eyes stare back at us, but their blank expression makes them seem black, void. A long scar runs along his right cheek and in any other situation it could be taken as a battle scar, but here, it’s just a scar adding to a dark being. A shiver crawls down my spine in complete fear, Drew as if sensing my state of mind pulls me closer to his side. Well, as best as he can in our current position.

                “And you really need to learn your place,” the blue eyed boy snaps. I’ve got to admire the side of Drew that won’t back down even when we’re so easily outnumbered. He straightens his posture coming to his complete height and despite the age gap, there’s something about Drew that makes someone aware of his presence. Be it his intimidating figure or the cobalt eyes that seem to shift with every single emotion that flutters through them. The man nods for the guys behind Drew and I to leave before speaking again.

                “I really don’t know why they want you dead so badly,” the man states pensively while stroking his chin. Is that what I look like when I do it? Completely badass and Godfather like?

                “Who sent you?” Drew asks, completely calm as if we’re not in a possible life and death situation. Someone’s been hanging out with Adrian too much.

                “You know who,” the man replies cryptically. I really need to stop referring to him as ‘the man.’

                “I’m Khloe,” I hold my hand out to shake and both Drew and badass give me incredulous looks in return. “You’re supposed to shake it,” I add, glancing down at my outstretched hand, the one that’s not handcuffed to Drew. Awkward.

                “Kai,” he answers after a moment before taking my hand in his firm grasp.

                “Isn’t that a girl’s name?” I pipe up curiously.