Chapter 33- The Gang Doesn't Change

"Is she dead?"

"Shut up, don't say that."

"It's a valid question."

"Hey, what does this button do?"

"Don't touch that dumbass, it's like you want Drew to kill you."

"Will all of you shut up?!"

"Stop poking her, Kohl."

Voices penetrate my current state of mind, a state in which I'm not here nor there. I just am. I try to open my eyes, but even fluttering my eyelids causes pain to throb in my temple. My hand itches to curl around something, anything, that'll let me know I'm not gone, but even that seems to be an impossible task.

I can sense the presence of multiple people in my room, figuring that I'm in a hospital if the beeping in my ears is anything to go by. One presence stands out though, the one that's on my left side holding my hand. For just a moment, my mind has trouble conjuring up the names of the people who could possibly be here for me. But then, in a barrage of pictures, like a film reel, everything surfaces to mind, and I wonder if Drew is the one holding my hand.

A sharp pain interrupts my train of thought as something presses down on my torso. I feel movement in my hands as my body tries to ward off the pain. The beeping by my head speeds up momentarily.

"I told you to stop poking her, Kohl. She has three broken ribs, you're not helping by poking them repeatedly," Kim's voice scolds, followed by the sound of three consecutive slaps. A chuckle follows the movement, dark and evil.

Adrian's laugh, no doubt.

"Do you think she can hear us?" Lucas's voice pipes up farther away from the others.

"Damn it Lucas, I told you to stop pressing that button!" Hm, what's Mike doing here?

"If none of you shut up, the hospital is going to be experiencing a shortage of rooms." That voice makes a shiver run down my skin and I feel my heart stutter in my chest. It's close, so close I can feel the vibration of it in my body. Drew.

"Ew, why is she smiling like that?" Adrian questions.

"Isn't it obvious? She's having an accident. Somebody get a nurse and a bedpan." These are the moments in which I question and dread the fact that Kohl is my brother.

"Aw, I thought it'd be something more romantic, like the realization that Drew's sitting next to her, holding her hand." Ruby, you're the realest. At least someone knows me well.

"That's stupid." Kohl retorts.

"That's why you don't have a girl," Adrian snorts.

"Don't listen to him, Kohl. You're a great catch." Lucas's and Kohl's bromance seems to be in full bloom still.

"Is that a metaphor or something?" Adrian deadpans before chuckling maniacally. I wish I was awake to give him props on that one.

"Dude?!" Lucas and Kohl shout simultaneously.

"Would all of you just go home?" The grip on my hand tightens as Drew lets out a long sigh. I wish I could reassure him that everything is okay, but words fail me in my current state. Concentrating, I will my hand to show him some sort of response and manage to squeeze back lightly. I can feel his smile rather than see it, and a moment later I feel his breath on my neck.