First Grade

Harry's POV

"Welcome to first grade! I'm your teacher, Mrs. Lacy, and I look forward to getting to know all of you." I shared a nervous glance with Louis, squeezing his hand tightly.

"She's nice," Louis whispered in my ear, and I giggled a bit as Mrs. Lacy pulled out a list.

"Here's your seating chart. It's in order of your names, so sorry if you can't sit by your best friend!" She apologized, and me and Louis looked at each other knowingly.

"...Megan Smith, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson.." Me and Louis looked at each other and squealed, hopping up and down. Mrs. Lacy smiled at us and pointed at our desks, and I pulled Louis behind me, his hand still holding mine.

"I love your curls," Mrs. Lacy cooed, ruffling my hair with her hands. I flinched away, and Louis sent her a glare.

"He doesn't like when people touch his hair!" He whined, pulling me in for a hug. The teacher said, "I'm sorry," and walked away from us.

"It's okay Harry," Louis whispered in my ear, and I grinned against his shoulder. He smelled like soap. I loved that smell.

"We should go play at my house after school!" I cried, yanking away from my best friend. Louis' blue eyes widened as a smile spread across his lips.

"We should!" And with that, we high fived and turned to face the front, where Mrs. Lacy was staring at us.

"Okay class, first we're going to introduce ourselves. Just say your name, your age, your favorite color, you name it!" She winked, making me look at Louis and giggle. Louis was hiding his face with one hand, a beam on his face.

"She's so silly," he whispered to me, and I nodded in agreement.

"Louis! Why don't you go first?" Mrs. Lacy called, interrupting our conversation. I patted Louis' shoulder as a blush spread across his cheeks.

"Tell them I you're best friend," I hissed in his ear as he shot up out of his desk and began to walk towards the front of class.

The corners of his lips lifted slightly for a second before turning into a nervous frown.

Mrs. Lacy placed both her hands on Louis' shoulders, and I felt a burning in my chest. Nobody touched him. He was my best friend.

I stared at her hands meanly until she removed them, and Louis gazed at me helplessly. I shrugged my shoulders, nodding in encouragement.

"Uhm.. I-I'm Louis," he stuttered, making eye contact with me the whole time.

"Keep going," I whispered, squirming anxiously in my seat.

"My favorite color is dark red, like blood," I giggled as a horrified look crossed the teacher's face.

"And I think boys are really pretty, especially Harry." Louis attempted to wink, making me squeal with laughter.

But I quickly stopped when I saw Mrs. Lacy's face. She looked worried, disappointed, and there was another weird expression I couldn't read.

"I think you're pretty too!" I exclaimed, now standing up in my seat.

"Okay Louis, you can sit down," Mrs. Lacy said quietly, and he shrugged before rushing to his seat.

"Harry, you can go." Mrs. Lacy wasn't happy anymore, why? I bit my lip and ran to the front of class, and suddenly a wave of butterflies hit me. I could feel the hotness grow on my cheeks as I looked at our classmates.

"Uhm.. I'm... I'm.." I tried to speak, but my breath caught and I couldn't speak. My eyes were tearing up and I felt my heart beating quickly. Then I was crying, tears running down my burning cheeks.

Louis knew I was shy, and I'd never been in front of the class to speak before. His eyes widened and he was suddenly at my side, wrapping his tiny little arms around me. I buried my head in his chest, my hands sweating.

"You boys can sit down. Harry, there's no need to be nervous," I heard Mrs. Lacy say, and then Louis was helping me back to my seat.

"It's okay Harry," Louis whispered softly, wiping my tears away with his fingertips. I didn't even care when he ran his hands through my hair, because the tugging on my scalp but was kinda comforting.

Our classmates stared at us, many of them laughing loudly. I could practically feel Louis glaring at all of them as I pulled my head away from his chest.

"Leave me alone," I murmured, watching as another boy walked to the front of the class. He introduced himself perfectly, and it wasn't fair. All the kids liked him, as they were laughing loudly as he mocked me, pretending to cry.

"That's enough," Mrs. Lacy scolded, and I wrapped my arms around myself as another wave of tears overcame me. Louis looked at me helplessly, then sent daggers at the stupid boy that made fun of me.

"You're mean!" I shouted at him as he plopped down in his seat. "And you're stupid!"

"Harry!" Mrs. Lacy gasped. I jumped out of my seat and ran for the door. First grade was a disaster. And I was all excited for nothing.

I slammed the door behind me and ran to the boy's bathroom. I thought I could hear footsteps behind me, but I wasn't sure.

"First grade stinks," I whimpered to myself, glancing in the mirror at my red crybaby eyes before I plopped down on the tile floor, wiping furiously at my burning cheeks.

"Harry!" Louis shouted, sliding into the bathroom. I watched as my best friend looked around frantically before his ocean eyes landed on me.

"Harry don't cry! It's fine! Nick's stupid!" He rushed, scrambling to sit next to me. Oh. His name was Nick.

I hated Nick.

"I hate Nick so much!" I sobbed, crying against Louis' shoulder as he hugged me again.

"Shh... it's okay Harry. No one's going to hurt you again, as long as I'm here," Louis promised. "I'm going to go tell on Nick to my mummy and he's never going to make fun of you again."

"I love you Louis. You're the bestest friend in the whole entire world," I said truthfully, my words a bit muffled.

"I love you too Harry."

I jumped in surprise when another boy our age came running into the bathroom.

"Mrs. Lacy sent me in here to get you guys. You're in trouble," he warned, before leaving back out the door.

"I'm scared," I whimpered, my hand searching for Louis'. I finally found it and intertwined our fingers together tightly, and he gave me a reassuring squeeze.

"Let's go. You'll be fine Harry, I promise." I nodded. Louis never broke his promises.

We stood up, our knees popping.

"We're the coolest first graders in town," Louis joked, swinging our hands back and forth and up high into the air.

"Yeah we are," I laughed and sniffled.

Then he did the little air gun thing that I loved, the one that always made me clutch my tummy in laughter, and first grade didn't seem so bad anymore. As long as Louis was by my side, protecting me.

***

So there's first grade! I don't know how many years I'm going to do, but PLEASE COMMENT WHAT YOU THINK. AND VOTE. Just put your thumb on that star right now, each vote means the world. DO IT. It takes two seconds. Now click on the little comment bubble and type in a comment, because I LOVE FEEDBACK.

Please. 3 comments and I'll update sooner than I would without them.

ILY.

-Kayla