Chapter 9

Ashlynn's P.O.V

I sat on the couch, taping my foot; I looked at the clock. 7 am. Max still wasn't home.

My phone went off. Written across the screen spelt Jason. I tapped answer. "hello?" I asked.

"Where have you been?!? I've been worried sick!"

"I-I I'm on vacation." I lied.

"Nice try. I can tell when your lying."

"Fine." I sighed. "I'm with a friend. Max. He was the one who stood up for me when Ashlie was bullying me."

"Hey, I'm sorry, I would have stood up for you, but my friend said you're worthless to stand up for. That made me furious. Please, I would have stood up for you. But, he just wouldn't let me go."

I looked up and saw Max, "whatever, I've got to go."

"Bye..."

"Bye."

I pressed end.

"Who was that?" Max asked me.

"Jason."

"Oh. Who-"

"Where have you been?"

"Who cares where I've been."

"I care. You could've told me you were at least leaving."

"Look, it's none of your business. So back off," Max spat.

"Why are you getting so angry? Just tell me where you went."

The air became heavy, and my head was getting fuzzy; tentacles sprouted from his back like black snakes. Then, he grabbed me by the neck and picked me up. "I said back off!" and he tossed me to the ground.

"Max! Please, I'm sorry!" I put my hand up to keep us apart, the airlifted, and when I looked back at him, he was gone.

Max's P.O.V

"Fuck!" I screamed down at the waterfall. I ran my fingers through my hair. Breathe, Max, breathe. I took a deep breath, and I jumped. The adrenaline helps ease my anger. As my head went underwater, I opened my eyes. It was peaceful; I wonder what would happen if I didn't go back up for air. I floated to the surface, floating on my back. I wonder if she actually likes me? If she doesn't like me, why would she kiss back? If she wanted me, would she tell me? It doesn't matter now; I've ruined it like I ruin everything. I messed up again. I can't seem to control my emotions; everything happens so fast.

My anger builds up so fast. I don't know what got into me; I've never done that before. Why didn't I just tell her? Tell her what? Tell her I told her bully to off her girlfriend? Tell her I did it so Ashlie could feel the pain that Ashlynn's felt? Yeah right. I looked to the sky; it was stormy weather outside. It wasn't raining. It was cloudy, dark, mysterious. Maybe it was like a misty rain coming down. I can't seem to tell from the mist from the waterfall. The sky seemed to mirror my emotions, angry and sad.

I closed my eyes,

"Max?" A voice said, muffled by the water.

I looked up.

"What are you doing?" Ashlynn asked.

"Releasing my anger," I responded, "Please, leave. I don't want to hurt you again," I trailed off, "accidentally."

I heard her sigh, "you killed someone last night, didn't you?"

I quickly sat up, "I said leave," I laid back down. Suddenly, something hard bounces off my forehead, "ow, what the hell?" I exclaimed, rubbing my forehead.

"Get out of the water. Have you been in there the whole time?"

"How long has it been?"

"5 hours."

I sigh, swimming to the shore, "why are you here again?"

"We need to talk."

"There's nothing to talk about," I answer, grabbing my shirt.

She pulls out her phone, "explain this then." She shows me a news article, 'Jacklyn Armata, murdered in Bushburn Forest last night'.

I shake my head, "Nope, not me."

"This is what you were doing last night?!" she yelled.

"I just told you no," I said through my teeth.

"You killed her! She didn't do anything wrong!"

That's it, I don't care anymore, "Yeah, but her girlfriend did."

"Who's her girlfriend?"

"Ashlie."

"Why? Why would you do that?"

"She hurt you, so I hurt her back."

"Why?!"

"Because it's fun!"

"Fun? Murdering people is fun?"

"Who do you think I am? I'm a murderer. A relentless murderer!" I screamed; I felt like ripping out my hair, "it's in my blood."

"How is murdering people fun?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"You fucking bastard!" she started hitting me in the chest with her fists; she was crying.

I backed up against the cliffside; I grabbed her wrists, "Ashlynn, please stop."

She breathes heavy her face was red, "I hate you. I hate you!" she looks up and me and looks me in the eyes; her glare was sharp, jagged like daggers. She lifts her hand to slap me.

I squeeze my eyes shut, ready for the impact, but it never comes; instead, she kissed me. My eyes widen, but I close my eyes and wrap my arms around her waist, kissing her harder. Her lips were soft, warm, salty from her tears. Abruptly, I stop. "Stop. You're not thinking straight," I tell her. It's true; she isn't.

"Max, you're not the Slenderman," she breathes.

"What are you-"

She cuts me off, "you, Max. The Slenderman is a curse, a demon that lives inside you, he's not you, and you're not him. You're you, and you wouldn't hurt me."

"But I hurt you, and I wasn't the demon."

"It seems to be triggered by anger; you can learn to control it."

"I refuse to live with this demon inside me for the rest of my life."

"It seems to be the only option."

"It's not-" I shut my mouth.

"What are you talking about 'it's not'?"

"I can't tell you. I'm sorry."

"Yes, you can. Just tell me."

"I told you no. I'm sorry, I can't tell you. I would if I could. They'll kill me."