Chapter 2

I slammed my locker closed as I thought of that man.

I walked to my class with my best friend, Jason. He's one of my only friends here. I walked past Ember, who was talking to her group of friends. When I hear Ashlie's friends whispering about me. Saying, "she's such a loser" or "She's such a geek."

Honestly, their choice of words didn't offend me.

"Oh fuck off," I say as I walk past them.

Ashlie comes up to me and pushes me against the locker. I rub my shoulder.

"Hey? Looks like we aren't friends anymore." Ashlie said.

I respond with a chuckle.

"You going to say something?" She spats while pushing me back into the locker again.

Why isn't Jason doing anything? I turn my head to where he was standing; he wasn't there. He was talking to one of his friends. I got so frustrated. What the hell is wrong with him?

"Hey!" A boy grabbed her shoulder and punched her, "Leave her alone!" Oh great. Here comes a fight. Obviously, the blond-haired boy was gonna win.

"Ow! What was that for?" She asked, rubbing her cheek.

"Bullying her."

"Asshole." She walks away, bumping into the boy's shoulder.

I wiped the smile off my face and ran to my class.

"Wait!" He yelled.

I stopped in my tracks. I turned around and saw the boy with shaggy blond hair and deep blue eyes.

"Why? Why did you stand up for me?" I asked. "You don't even know me."

"I know you more than you think," he said. "My name is Max."

I stood there smiling at him for some odd reason for a minute or two. "Oh right." I shook my head in embarrassment. "Ashlynn," I said and walked away to my class.