Chapter 36: Waterfalls, snapbacks, and love birds

•••

Ashlynn's P.O.V.

•••

"I love you too."

We laid there talking for about an hour. Until we decided to go swimming.

"Ready?" Max asks.I nod. "One. Two. Three." He runs behind me and picks me up throwing me into the water.

"You're dead." I said trying splash him.

"No you don't." He runs into the water splashing me.

"Hey. Guys." I see Ember and James walking down the pathway. James wearing a snapback and sunglasses. I've gotta say he looked pretty hot. (But not as hot as Max)

"Oh hey!" I said smiling at them. "How'd you know we were here?" I asked them.

"Max texted me." James said wrapping his arm around Embers shoulders.

"Oh. Okay." I laughed. "Come on in." I waved at them.

"Sure." Ember laid her towel beside mine, and James put his beside Embers.

Ember ran in falling over as she did.

I started to laugh.

"Hey!" She laughed and splashed me.

I was soon on top of Max's shoulders and Ember was on James's. Its cool how we all of us are best friends.

I tried to push Ember of James's shoulders. That didn't work.

Ember grabs onto my arms trying to drive me off Max's shoulders. I grab onto hers.

"Oh my God." I screamed.

We drive each other off Max and Jamess shoulders and they fell over with us diving into the water.

I came back up from the water. To my surprise Max was right in front of me.

"Jesus Christ. Max. You scared me." I said holding my hand to my heart.

"You're beautiful."

I didn't say anything just stared at him. Confused by his random statement.

"That was a compliment."

"I know. I know. Thank you." I gave him a sad smile, remembering I was leaving tomorrow.

"What's wrong?"

"I-I I'm leaving tomorrow." I looked down at the water.

"I know. That's why I took you here." He lifted my chin. "I love you."

"I love you too."

He leaned down at kissed me.

"Yo! You two lovebirds!" James called to us. "Stop making out! We've got to go soon!"

I rolled my eyes. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see." Max smiles as we intertwined our fingers.

We walked out of the water, dried ourselves off then headed to the truck.

He started the truck. "I'm going to take you home first. So you can get dressed. Dress normaly."

•••

"Can you tell me where we are going now?" I asked getting into his truck.

"Nope. You'll see when we get there."

"Ugh. Fine. Can you just tell how long it's going to take to get there?"

"5 minutes at the most."

"Okay."

•••

Max pulled into the parking lot of a fair. He got around the truck and opened my door. I smiled. "It's awesome."

"C'mon." He said, holding out his hand. I took it. We were holding hands.

•••

"Ready?" Max asks.

I nod. I grabbed his hand. A loud buzzer went off letting us know the ride was starting soon. I squeezed Max's hand.

The ride started. We were on the fireball it goes and does a bunch of loopy loops. I was screaming my face off and probably crushing Max's hand. "Oh my God. Oh, my God." I repeated over and over. Max convinced me to ride it. I've never been on a rollercoaster before. It scared me. Like what if the coaster malfunctioned and we all died? What if the coater derailed? but thank goodness that didn't happen. It turns out I actually like rollercoasters.

"Soo?" Max waved a hand in front of me. "Did you like it?" He said unbuckling me from my seat.

"Yeah it was pretty fun." I laughed.

"Yes. I told you." He said in victory.

I stepped off the rollercoster. "Thanks for convincing me to ride that thing."

"Anytime." He smiled.

"Ooh!" I said in excitement when I say the cotton candy stand. "Can we get some?"

"Sure. What colour?"

"Do you like blue?" I asked.

"My favorite." He laughs and wraps his arm around my shoulders.

"Blue please." He told the 'employee'.

"Here you go." she hands Max the cotton candy and Max gave her the money.

Bit by bit we finished the cotton candy. It was getting darker and darker by the minute.

Max won me an Teddy bear at one of the bottle tosses. Where they throw the ring around the bottle. Max was like a pro. Getting all the rings on the bottles.

"The fair is going to be ending soon. Can we go on the farris wheel?"

"Of course." We headed to the line up for the wheel.

"It's beautiful." I said admiring the sunset as we reached the top.

"It is."

"Have you ever thought of having kids?" I asked.

"I find kids annoy the fuck out of me. But if you want them. We'll have them."

I smile crept on to my lips. Max cupped my face and pulled me to him. Placing his forehead on mine.

"I don't want you to leave tomorrow." Our lips were inches away from each other.

A huge wave of sadness washed over me. Max's eyes looked sad, sadder then I've ever seen them before.

"Neither do I." I closed the space that was in-between us. Kissing. Our lips moved in sync.

We broke apart.

"Ashlynn?"

"Yeah?"

"I have something to tell you." I looked at him, worried on what he was going to say.

"I haven't changed at all."

"What?"

"I'm always going to be the slender man. I'm never going to change."