Part 14: Day 5

A small yawn escaped Nellieton's mouth as she woke up. She looked to see Abigail awake still guarding.

"Go to sleep" Nellieton told her. Abigail put her head against the tree and was asleep in seconds making the older girl smile.

She sat in silence while the others slept. A small groan escaped Charlie's mouth making Nellieton look at him.

Slowly his eyes opened. He had a small smile on his face. "Hey" he said quietly. "How'd you sleep" she asked. "Like an angel" he replied.

"How long have you been guarding" he asked. She shrugged her shoulders. "About an hour maybe a two" she said.

It fells silent. "How do you do it" he asked. "Do what" she asked confused. "Kill people. I've only killed once and it hurts so much" he said.

She sighed. "I don't have a choice. I don't want one of yous to get hurt when I can protect you" she said.

"What if it comes down to us four" he asked. "Then we'll split up. I won't be able to kill yous, any of you" she whispered.

"You're a great person you know that right" he said. "You all are making me turn sappy, it's horrible" she said making him chuckle.

It was silent and none of them cared. A yawn escaped Ethan's mouth. "What did I miss" he said rubbing his eyes.

"Just Nelly turning into a girl" Charlie said. "What that's not possible" Ethan said fake shocked making both boys laugh.

They stayed there for another two hours having small talk. "We better head off somewhere safe" Ethan said.

Nellieton woke up Abigail. "We're going" she said. "Okay" Abigail replied with a small smile on her face.

The four get down from the tree and start walking. "How many are left" Charlie asked. "District 1 and 2 both male and female" Ethan said.

"Hopefully they get killed off soon. God I hate careers, in fact I hate the Hunger Games. I hate everything about it" Nellieton said getting angry.

"Calm down" Ethan said. "I am calm" she said threw her teeth. "Really? Well you've never sounded more calm" Ethan said making her roll her eyes.

"Let's go eat" Charlie said. He was hungry, very hungry. He may not have had a lot at home but didn't do half as much as he does now.

"I think we need a big feast" Charlie said. "Wouldn't that be lovely" Nellieton said making him smile. The more she spoke the more he liked her.

It was true and obvious to see that Charlie liked Nellieton more than a friend. That's why he killed Liam, he didn't want to live without her. He knew she would make it out and he would not.

"Char you okay" Nellieton asked him. He couldn't help but smile at the nickname she gave him, it sounded perfect coming out of her mouth.

"I'm perfect" he said. Abigail and Ethan looked at each other. They knew about his feelings for the older girl.

They reached the edge of the desert. "You should stay in the shade so you don't get ill again" Charlie said worried about her.

"Okay" she said. "Really" he asked amazed she agreed. "Yeah I'll stay in the tree and stay guard, here" she said giving him the food and sticks.

Nellieton climbed a tree as the three younger children went to the desert. Nellieton heard rustling and looked around.

She saw Alexis, from 7. The girl looked tiny, almost ill making Nellieton feel sorry for her. She wanted help but it was dangerous.

A small groan escaped her mouth as she jumped down from the tree. Alexis closed her eyes with tears running down her face ready for death.

"Here" Nellieton said throwing a piece of meat at her. Alexis was shocked and confused on why the older girl didn't kill her.

"Wait until we're gone then heat it up in the desert. Just don't stay there too long you'll get ill and probably die a horrid death" Nellieton said.

"Why won't you kill me" she asked in a whisper. "Do you want me to" Nellieton asked. "N-no I just don't know why you don't" she said. "I only kill when I have to" Nellieton said.

It was true, she killed Layla who was about to kill her and Zoey nearly killed her so she had to kill her too.

"You should go hide now. My alliance may not share my views" Nellieton lied. She knew they wouldn't want to hurt the girl but she didn't want them to see her being nice again.

"Thank you" Alexis said. Nellieton smiled slightly as Alexis took the meat and went. Nellieton climbed back up the tree and watched her friends.

Charlie was looking in the forest, almost as if he was looking for her. She guessed he wanted to make sure she was okay.

After twenty minutes the alliance went to the trees. Nellieton jumped down making the three younger children jump.

"Be aware of your surroundings" she said. "Yes Princess" Ethan said with a bow making Abigail and Charlie chuckle.

When he said 'Princess' it made her think of Finnick. Why was she thinking of him? The reason her brother was dead.

"Let's move" she said coldly as she walked off. The others follow her nervously. "What's wrong with her" Charlie whispered to Ethan. "No idea" he whispered back.

Abigail rolled her eyes at the two boys and went over to Nellieton. "You okay" she asked. "I'll be fine" the older girl replied.

It was silent as they walked. They didn't even know where they were walking to just that they were in the snow and it was dark.

"Maybe we should all sit together to get warm" Ethan suggested. "Whatever" Nellieton replied as she climbed a tree.

The others climb the tree too. Abigail was sat next to Nellieton. "Hell no I'm not hugging up to him" Ethan whispered. "It was your idea" Nellieton snapped.

It fell silent. Charlie went over to Nellieton and had his head on her shoulders. "Ethan can guard" he said before he fell asleep.

The Anthem played and there were no fallen tributes.

Nellieton was next to fall asleep. Her head fell on Charlie's as they slept.

A small smile was on Abigail's face. "It's sweet isn't it" she said. "Yeah it's amazing, too bad it isn't real" Ethan said with a frown. "What do you mean" she asked.

"I'm pretty sure she's not going to want anyone in her life. She's scared they'll get hurt and it would be her fault" Ethan whispered.

They looked at the tree teens. "She's very beautiful" Abigail blurted out. "Yeah she seems to have a soft spot for you" Ethan said with a small smile. "I wonder why" she wondered.

Little did they know that one of the mentors had a theory on why she cared for the younger girl.

(End of part. The next part will be what the mentors have been thinking and doing)

(The GIF  below I thought fit Alexis perfectly when she's asking why won't they kill her).