CHAPTER: 3 | AFTER STORM (PART-1)

ZEESHAN OBEID OTHMAN had his elbows resting upon the large polished mahogany desk and his fingers entwined in front of him. His grey eyes roved around, studying the facial expressions of every client ensconced on the oval-shaped table. He was in the conference room with the British Ambassador and foreign traders, who were looking impressed with the presentation he gave. They exchanged pleased looks and whispered words of approval to one another, which did not go unnoticed by him. He was now sure about the deal being his but decided to wait for them to ensure his assumption was true.

This deal was important to him and their fast-emerging company, THE OTHMAN BUILDERS. It was initiated by the Othman brothers, Faheem Obeid Othman, the elder brother and Yusuf Obeid Othman, the younger one.

Being the only son of Yusuf, Zeeshan joined them right after his education, for the brothers needed an extra hand at work. Yusuf was a wise man who disliked the idea of Zeeshan having privileges for being his son.

Only the things you earn are yours. Nothing, absolutely nothing should be taken for granted. He would always tell him.

Zeeshan was more of an employee to him, at work. He positioned him based on his capabilities as he would do with any other employee. Consequently, he was promised to be made the CEO of the company, if he were to succeed in having the deal.

Here, the clients were having a hard time believing that Zeeshan, being the youngest among the Othmans, and the least experienced, could do such a good job at his presentation. When they heard Mr Yusuf's son would be presenting at the meeting instead of the Othman brothers, they expected everything but this. They all were astonished by his new ideas and tactics which seemingly screamed, profit. After consulting with one another, one of the men cleared his throat to speak.

"Mr Othman, I can-" The mobile phone sitting in the pocket of his finely pressed suit jacket went off, interrupting the bald man just as he had begun to speak.

Silence fell over them like snow. The only sound the shrill of the mobile phone, reverberating through the confined walls of the room almost made him want to facepalm himself. How could he not turn the phone off?

Zeeshan glanced at his phone, nonchalantly. Knowing well who would be interrupting him on an occasion like this, he rejected the call without bothering to look at the caller ID before turning it off.

"Apologies, gentlemen. Please, continue..." Zeeshan prompted the man to speak again.

"As I was saying..." The man trailed off with an eye roll when the telephone situated at the side table started to ring furiously. Zeeshan momentarily closed his eyes in exasperation, praying the caller would get the clue. He disconnected the call yet again, making sure to leave the receiver removed from its place, cutting off any other source of distraction to occur. Zeeshan faced them wearing an apologetic look. The client looked apoplectically annoyed.

"Sorry about that." He apologized and adjusted his coat, trying to act cool.

"It's alright." The client faked a smile, "Back to where we were..."

Zeeshan composed himself and gave him the share of the attention he deserved. His heart drummed in his chest, anticipating the outcome of the time he spent on the project, and his hard work.

And right when the man opened his mouth to speak, someone knocked at the door. All the heads turned towards the source of the distraction. Mr Tariq peeked his head inside and looked at Zeeshan, almost making him hiss out in annoyance.

I told you not to disturb me. He conveyed the words through his eyes. He felt like punching the living daylights out of Mr Tariq.

"Err...Sorry to interrupt. It's an emergency." Mr.Tariq gestured to the phone, he was holding in his left hand. Zeeshan frowned and then beckoned him in.