Chapter 28

"Distractions"

Astrid's P.O.V

When I heard the scratch of a chair being dragged against the floor, I never knew just how much that one sound would change my life. I didn't expect to befriend him, I didn't expect to be saved, and I certainly didn't expect to help him pack the boxes for when he'd be moving away again.

A week ago, when I heard that he'd be moving, I was okay with it, but now that there were only three days left, I felt like I was losing a better part of me. For his sake, I consistently held back the tears, threatening to pour from my eyes. However, I knew that the day he was leaving, I wouldn't be able to. His last memory before boarding the plane would be my hysteria. Great.

I was currently taking down the numerous posters that covered the walls of his room. Carter was nice enough to give me all of his band posters since he didn't want to package them up and fly them to Paris.

My orbs feverishly examined his favorite poster; how was I supposed to look at that every day without being overwhelmed with memories?

The Beatles walking across Abbey Road was quite legendary, and by seeing the photograph, most people would appreciate their musical talent; however, I would be bombarded by thoughts of a boy.

I let out a soft sigh before turning to glance at the explanation of me acting like a real girl with a fragile heart. Carter Daniels stood at his towering height of 182 centimeters (6 feet) looking as handsome as ever; somehow, his distressed state enhanced his features. Sweat coated his forehead while his shirt hung loosely around him, and it took every ounce of control I had not to go over to him and distract him.

I heard his usual deep chuckle rumble at the base of his throat. I immediately turned back to the posters while my cheeks began to burn. Why couldn't I take a quick glimpse instead of gawking? My actions undoubtedly caused him to laugh; he was unable to suppress his amusement with the situation.

"Shut up." I hissed, trying to sound angry.

"You're cute when you pretend to be mad." He spoke; the playful smirk clearly audible in his tone. I let out a sigh and rolled my eyes; his constant compliments - no matter how cheesy - didn't help to veil my crimson cheeks.

"And you seem to grow more annoying every day." I smiled while keeping my gaze fixed on the half-filled wall.

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"It wasn't meant to be..." I whispered.

"Don't make me come over there, Linnea." He growled; his flirtatious tone still lingered in his threat.

"You just want an excuse to come over here and forget about working," I stated.

"You've figured out my true intentions." He voiced while adding his usual musical laugh at the end, a rather attractive conclusion. I didn't dare steal another glance at him; the mere sight of his tousled dark locks would draw me in.

Curiosity overpowered my senses and dragged my unwilling eyes to gape once more at Mr. Daniels. He knew that I was thoroughly examining him, so he took his bottom lip between his teeth while tossing another shirt into his suitcase.

"Do you really have to do that?" I blurted. I couldn't believe I had just allowed my thoughts to exit my mouth.

"Do what?" He wondered while raising an eyebrow.

"... Nothing." I breathed in an attempt to conceal my lack of a filter.

"Can't you just tell me?" He wondered while meeting my gaze; the eye contact sent an unhealthy jolt to my heart.