Chapter 2

"You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, I'll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds."

Carter's P.O.V

Have you ever been in a room full of people but felt utterly alone? I've felt that way my whole life. Everywhere I've gone, it's the same thing over and over. People only want to get to know me for the way I look. They want to be with me, but none of them care how I feel. I don't have friends, only fake ones. Why can't I find one person who will care? The reason I sat next to Astrid was when every girl in the class gazed at me with their eyes full of hope and their mouths open she was looking at her book. She didn't care what I looked like. I feel comfortable around her, but; it's pretty evident she doesn't like me. I guess you can call me a dreamer for hoping I'd find someone at this school that I could talk to after attending six different schools.

"Carter?" Vicki said while shaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah? Sorry..." I replied. She turned to see where I was looking.

"Astrid Linnea is a loser," Vicki stated as her friends giggled along with her. "Trust me. She's a nobody. You'll do much better with us." She added. She might be a nobody to them but, hopefully, she's a somebody to me. All of her friends faced me, including her. Astrid's eyes met mine, and I shyly looked away. I gazed at Vicki and smiled at her.

"Aw, you're shy!" She announced. "Well, will you sit with us at lunch tomorrow?" She questioned.

"Um, sure," I answered casually. Four girls sitting around me squealed out of excitement.

"Girls, you're going to scare him!" Vicki warned them. I smiled at the table before I glanced up. I saw Astrid chasing the guy she was sitting next to. What was her relationship with him? Was it just friends or more? Better yet, why was I so curious?

"I have to use the bathroom; I'll see you tomorrow unless you are in my class," I told them. A chorus of girls told me not to leave.

"What's your fourth and fifth period?" A blonde girl questioned.

"Music and art," I answered.

"Oh, I'm in art!" She announced.

"See you in art," Vicki told me with a wink. I smiled at them all before I exited the cafeteria and walked towards the bathrooms near the stairs. I don't know what to think of Riverdale. Will I make real friends or fake ones? The sound of someone singing made me stop dead in my tracks. The voice sounded perfect. This mysterious musician had my attention. Instead of going to the bathroom, I was now walking towards the source of the voice. I found myself standing near my locker and the music room. I listened in carefully. A small smile crept its way onto my lips.

"Astrid, that was amazing!" I heard a male voice say once the singing had stopped. The 'voice' was Astrid? Now I want to get to know her. The sound of a bell rang throughout the building, and I quickly made my way to my locker, which was across the hall. My fingers twisted the metal lock and stopped after hitting the last number. I pulled down once I saw the number three. I got a new book and a pencil before making my way back to the bathroom.

Astrid's P.O.V

I put the acoustic guitar back on the rack when people started flooding into the music room. I took my seat next to Aiden. I watched as Carter entered the class. A couple of girls pulled him to sit next to them. Okay, maybe I won't be troubled with glares in my favorite class. Jayden and Harlow rushed into class and sat next to Aiden and me. They made it since the bell rang as soon as they sat down.

"Welcome, class!" Mrs. O'Leary greeted. She's a fantastic teacher, and she will be kind to you if you're friendly and respectful. So, technically, if you enjoy the music, she'll like you. She lets my friends and I use the instruments and record songs with the recording equipment. She'll always give students the option to use the recording equipment if they seem interested enough.