27|Save a life

Brief note:

Hey guys, Olivia453 wrote a short, steamy, fan fiction based on this book. You guys can check her book, 'Naughty Stories' if you're interested. It's great so go give it a try ;). Thank you! ❤

A month passed since Maria fled Leon's hospital bedroom

A month passed since Maria fled Leon's hospital bedroom. Leon sat in his office, a grimace on his face - kinda like the one he sported for the past month.
Staring down at the computer screen before him, he realized he could see nothing but a blank screen; he knew what exactly his lack of concentration came from.

Her.

The person whom he had stayed strong for, but who seemed to have fallen heavily from their love.
A boulder was suddenly added to the huge wall Leon was building around his heart, intentions strict on making it indestructible.

No more would he fall in love. He now knew that while falling may seem euphoric, the landing would be like no other. He fell on a stake that drove right through his heart.

Leon hissed, getting up from his seat, but winced, feeling the dull ache in his stomach that wasn't fully healed. Once again, he was reminded of the events that took place one dreadful month ago. He paused in that spot, remembering when Maria's face was the last he saw before he had slipped into unconsciousness.

He remembered thinking, while unconscious, that her face would be the one he'd wake up to, but what he'd hoped for was not what he got. Instead, he was met up with his mother's melancholy eyes and happy smile. Eyes telling him, his love was gone, her smile reassuring that she was there.

Maria, was the first thing he said, the only face he'd wanted to see then, but he hadn't seen her. He saw a note instead, the penmanship beautiful, but the words the ugliest he'd ever seen.

Leon immediately reached for it, removing it from the drawer he had placed it in. Many times he had thought of destroying it, along with his feelings for her, but he found, neither was easy to do. With shaking hands, he unfolded the sheet of paper, jaws clenching, eyes burning.

It read:

My dearest Leon,
I'm so sorry I couldn't say this in person, but I'm afraid I'm not that strong.
I can say that the greatest times in my life were the ones spent with you. I'm glad to have found love, I'm glad to have known the meaning, because of you. I can never truly express my gratefulness to you for bestowing upon me, such privilege.
But at some point we'll have to admit that we are sinking ships at sea and we cannot save each other. We can do nothing but watch each other drown because that's the reality of our love.
I'm sorry, I wish things had been different, but I especially, have caused you so much hurt and from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry. You deserve someone a lot better and I deserve some time.
Be with someone who makes you happy more than she makes you sad, someone who can give you the beautiful babies that you want. Someone whom you can love without hurt. I'm sorry that person isn't me.