15| Calls to make ...

Leon picked up Maria about five minutes after her call, seeing that the hotel he was staying at was not far from Hannah's apartment. She entered the vehicle without a word, distancing herself by staring out the window and relaying the events of the day in her head.
Leon glanced in her direction every now and then when he managed to get his eyes off the road. He was worried, seeing the way in which she withdrew and wandered into a world by herself.

"Maria?" he wanted to know if she was really alright.

"I- can we just talk at your hotel please. I need to think," she announced disjointedly, bringing her gaze to the window.

Leon simply nodded, as he continued to drive, his mind partially on the road and Maria.

***

"Maria, what's going on?" Leon asked as soon as they were settled in his hotel room.

"I'm only here to offer you an explanation as to why I didn't tell you about my sister when we were together. After that, I'll be on my way," she told him dryly, taking a seat on the sofa.

Leon opened his mouth to formulate a reply, but was met up with Maria's halting hand.

"Please," she said, her voice low. "Just give me a chance to explain."

Leon grew more concerned with every word that came from her mouth. Her face was void of emotions and there was an emptiness in her eyes that he'd never seen before.

"I didn't tell you about Marianne because I didn't want her memories to ruin my life," she began, seeing the confused look on Leon's face.

"That day I met you at that café, my dad died a week before. I told you that but I didn't tell you why. He died of a heart attack...," she trailed off, taking a moment to compose herself. "He had an argument with Marianne right before; she told him all sort of lies about me just because she knew I was his favorite."

"Marianne doesn't love anyone but herself and she disliked me because I got the straight A's, the friends and she didn't like that. She always tried to find some way to ruin that for me. It got worst when she found that dad favored me more. He had a heart condition called atrial fibrillation which is a irregular rapid heartbeat. She purposely got into that argument with him to paint a bad picture of me. Dad didn't take it lightly, not because he believed what she said - he didn't. He was just too heartbroken hearing his daughter speaking so hatefully about her own twin. He was always so fragile..." her voice faltered with the last sentence.

"On the day of his funeral, she leaned into me and said: 'That's one less person to love dear old Maria'." She tried really hard to hold back the tears, but one drop was persistent.

"I can never forgive her for that," she completed huskily.

Leon's shock could not be hidden."I didn't know - I..." he trailed off, too shocked to utter even another word.

"That's the only secret I ever kept from you while we were together," she admitted coolly, angrily brushing at her tears- feeling disappointed in herself for already breaking her promise.

"Maria, I'm sorry," Leon softly murmured, so soft it was barely audible. "I'm sorry for reacting the way I did earlier. I-"