02|Getting Ready

The following day, Maria woke up feeling very excited

The following day, Maria woke up feeling very excited. She was really happy for Sam because she knew he worked hard on making a deal with a eligible buyer. She wanted to look her very best for the dinner, because she knew first impressions last and she wanted to make a good one with the dealer, on behalf of Samuel.

She was happy it was her day off, so she would have the time to prepare herself for the evening. She did her daily chores and sat on the couch when she was done, awaiting Hannah, considering she always came over on Maria's day off's.

As if on cue, the doorbell rang and Maria quickly sauntered through the small passage to open it. Hannah had two bags in her hand, which Maria assumed to be lunch.

"Hey, you look happy," Hannah acknowledged and Maria smiled, anxious to fill her friend in on the good news.

They moved towards the sitting area and through the kitchen where Maria poured them both a glass of fruit juice.

"So tell me what's going on," Hannah exclaimed.

"Samuel landed the deal he's been working on for months!" she squealed and Hannah's eyes widened.

"Oh my! That's so awesome. He really deserves the break," Hannah retorted sincerely.

Maria nodded. "Tonight he's going to sign the papers with the boss over dinner. I'm to accompany him," she grinned.

The glass paused half way to Hannah's mouth. "Really?" she asked in surprise.

"Mmhmm," Maria nodded proudly.

"So isn't Sam a bit awkward around you. I mean, after....you know," she shrugged, knowing that Maria would understand what she was talking about.

Maria sighed. "No he's not. I told you, all that was a mistake I'd like to stay in the past," she said rummaging through the bag in curiosity.

There was an awkward silence.

"What's this?" Maria asked after a time when she came upon a container.

A grin sliced Hannah's face. "Ohhh, girl. My mom introduced me to this spot just a few blocks from here. Its a Jamaican restaurant, and that right there is what they call jerked chicken, with...", she trailed off, tapping her chin for the word. "Festival dumplings," she beamed in excitement.

"What?" Maria asked, confused.

"It's so delicious, you have to try it," Hannah beamed in excitement.

"Jerked chicken Han, that sounds...off," Maria cringed.

Hannah sighed, rolling her eyes. "Just take a bite of the damn thing," she exclaimed in frustration, opening the lid of the small box.

Maria looked down on the thing, the smell wafting across his nose in delight. It looked like chicken for sure, with a dull shade of orange to it. She watched as Hannah pulled off piece, pushing it in her direction.