Descent Into Darkness Chapter 3

it's Saturday! Which means *drumrolling on table* more Born Of Fire!!!!!! Wooohoo!!! *Throws confetti*

*Removes glasses to reveal serious face* Okay, but seriously. Read, vote, and comment!!!!!!

                                                                 On a side note, that's ^ called an Oxford Comma. I just learned that like, two days ago!

Enjoy!

She drove this thought from her mind when she felt herself being lifted from the floor and pulled to Spedro’s body, and she met his eyes. Panic was evident within them, and he kissed her lips before he flung her toward the wall. She watched his eyes as she flew backward, wondering why he was trying to kill her. He blew another kiss at her, and she was surprised when the outside of the house came into view, and then she realized what happened. He had thrown her out the window, the glass already having been broken during Phoenix’s visit. The soft grass rose to meet her, and her body rolled on impact. She sprung to her feet, her eyes locking with Spedro’s as the roof caved in on top of him, and the walls followed obscuring his visage.

She screamed, vaguely aware of Lindani doing the same.  She sprung forward, ripping boards and roof tiles from the pile in an effort to reach her mate.

Her hands already bleeding, Ember ripped boards and roof tiles from the heap of debris piled on top of her mate. Lindani worked beside her, crying softly under her breath. A nail protruding from a board pierced her palm, but she paid no mind. She would feel the pain when her mate wasn’t dying under a mound of rubble, not while he needed her.

Lindani began to curse, the tears running down her face. “Please be okay, please be okay,” she chanted over and over.

Ember stepped back and conjured a large wind, sending it directly at the mountain of debris before her. Boards and tiles began to roll away, the tiles breaking into pieces. Lindani’s hand fell on her shoulder, bidding her cease the wind. She shrugged her off, not breaking her concentration.

“Ember!” Lindani screamed a moment later, panic filling her voice. Ember finally dropped her arms and turned, snapping at Lindani in her exasperation. “What?!”

A spear flew past Ember’s face, pushing through her hair in its flight. Without Lindani’s warning, the spear would have entered the back of her neck, killing her instantly. A force of thirty men was only steps away, one of them still posing from throwing the spear that had almost killed her. She immediately conjured an orb and threw it, watching as it hit him, throwing him backward. Another man rushed forward, this one carrying a pitchfork. He reached her and thrust forward with the tined weapon, aiming for her stomach. Ember spun out of the way and pulled a wind from behind the man, ripping the weapon from his hands. She spied Lindani using her water to slice the men superficially, and she knew that the woman had come to the same conclusion she had; these were not Demetrius’ soldiers. When they saw them using their gifts, all the men backed up in fear, some dropping their weapons. Lindani came to her side, both of them ready for a second attack.

One man shouldered his way to the front, sword still in his hand. “Why have you done this?”

Lindani looked to Ember, nodding for her to speak. Ember obliged, speaking carefully. “You think we were responsible for this?”