Descent Into Darkness Chapter 24

Okay, if there are any spelling errors, the laptop I'm using is not mine, and the E key is all screwy, not to mention that it just doesn't feel right. Point them out, and I'll get to them when I get my laptop back. I know it's short, but like I said, sucky laptop! I miss mine...

Phoenix whirled on the spot, greeted by the sight of Lian standing directly behind him, the black firelight dancing in her eyes. He took a step back, and dropped his hands to his side. “You will not hand over the stone then?”

“I will not,” she said, stepping forward. Phoenix sat by the fire, which with a wave of Lian’s hand sprang back to a healthy orange. “Even if I didn’t want to keep it from you because you’re slowly going mad, two of us with a stone apiece is better than one of us with two stones.”

Phoenix nodded, watching the flames dance before him. “So be it. I value your counsel.”

Lian inclined her chin, then turned and climbed up the nearest tree, out of the ring of light cast by the fire. Phoenix watched her go and ducked his head, a twisted, cruel smile playing at the corners of his lips.

~*~*~*~*~

“Ember, you must awaken.”

Ember snapped upright, her hand coming up to defend herself, when the ground lurched beneath her, and she began to slip sideways. Her other hand reached out, grasping for something, anything, to hold on to.  She brushed something hard and leathery and gripped it tightly. She heard Spedro chuckle, and looked around, trying to find him. When she found him he was at an odd angle, riding his horse and laughing. She realized that she’d dozed off while riding and her hand was gripping the horn of the saddle. Hanging perpendicular to the ground, she was level with the ribs of her mare, and she pulled herself upright in the saddle.

“We’re back,” whispered Lindani, a few lengths behind her.

It had been a hard two months, riding for home, but they had finally arrived. Bands of Demetrius’ raiders had plagued them and slowed their progress. They had encountered many problems on the road, the rumor mill being one of the worst.  Every time they stopped in a city, they would hear stories of Phoenix’s evil. Some said he had been killed in an air village called Trontem, while others spoke of his laying waste to it and its people.

Every single story told of one element that visibly crushed Lindani every time someone spoke of it; the eastern woman traveling with Phoenix. When an inn keeper spoke of it the first time, Lindani exploded in anger, screaming that Phoenix would never betray her like that. With each telling and retelling they heard, the eastern woman was mentioned.

The last few times, Lindani had turned away, tears filling her eyes and leaving glistening tracks on her cheeks. She had, against Spedro and Ember’s explicit orders, dove into their most recent skirmishes with Demetrius’ forces with a bloody rage, killing anyone who came within range in the worst ways possible. Ember had watched as Lindani caused the blood to burst from one man’s eyes, nose, and ears, killing him slowly. There had only been ten people in the raiding party, and Lindani killed all but two.

A familiar voice pulled her back to the present, and she looked up to see Doritan before her, flame coating his hand. The village was behind him, the people of it looking out fearfully. “Who goes there, and what business do you have in Yaag?” Doritan shouted, his flame growing larger.

Ember swept back the hood of her mud-stained cloak, baring her face. Doritan’s eyes darted to her, and his eyebrows went up while the flame in his hand died. “Ember?” he whispered.

Spedro stiffened and turned to Ember, who shook her head at his unasked question. He relaxed, and Ember dismounted her horse, making her way to her father.  She stayed alert though, searching the area behind him for any threat. How much she had changed in these long months since they had left Yaag, she mused to herself while she walked toward the surprised man before her. She had felt safe here, her home, but now she saw the holes in the defensive line around the village. She could see the spots, if she wanted to attack, that she would use.

She reached her father, and stood before him, waiting for him to make the next move. She knew Spedro was waiting to open the earth below him if he attacked, so she forced herself to relax. “We have returned,’ she said, searching his eyes for a reaction.

Doritan looked past her. “Three horses. Where is the fourth?”

Ember’s eyes filled with tears, and Doritan stepped back. “The stories are true?” He fell to his knees, ripping his shirt in two. “My son, my only son, met his end at the hand of the hulk you took with you?”

Spedro pulled back the hood of his own cloak, and Doritan saw his face and sprung back to his feet, pushing Ember behind him. “You dare show your face here?”

A new flame ignited in his palm, and Ember was surprised to see it turn blue, just like Phoenix’s. His arm came back to fling the deadly flame at her mate, and Ember took hold of him. With one hand she held his wrist, and the other directed a burst of air at his hand, extinguishing the flame. With a calm and steady voice, she said, “He is not responsible for Phoenix’s death, if indeed he is dead. Phoenix left us on the road, and we only caught up to him once, when he murdered Skiht in his own town.”

Doritan’s knees buckled, and Ember could barely hold him upright. Spedro appeared at her side and helped her lift him back on to his feet. “We have more news, Doritan,” Spedro rumbled. “She, my sister, is pregnant with Phoenix’s child."