Descent Into Darkness Chapter 27

Phoenix did not want to fight Lian here, but he would not allow her to leave with the other stone. The crowded city streets would restrict his movement and impede his mobility, so he tried to placate her. “What do you mean?”

“You blazed a path of death and destruction across many leagues. Many now know of the Black Phoenix, as you are now called. I will not die for your pig-headedness and pride, Phoenix. You remove it so we may navigate the city unnoticed, or I will take that as my leave to return to Tanos.”

Phoenix considered the risk, and came to a compromise. “I will wear my cloak over it, and remove the helmet.”

“The cloak will be closed?”

Phoenix nodded, and Lian continued. “Then don it now, so we may move unheeded.”

Phoenix dismounted and withdrew the cloak from the saddlebag, swirling it around his shoulders and closing the silver clasp on his chest. “Satisfactory?”

Lian nodded, and grasped the reins of his mount, leading him once more through the crowded city. Phoenix took careful note of the people milling in the streets while Lian led. Most were dirty, crouching in gutters and filth. Looking into the alleys they passed, Phoenix could see beds lining the grimy lanes.

He wondered what could drive these people from their homes to debase themselves in this manner, and he voiced this question to Lian. “As I said, Demetrius has been attacking the neighboring villages and towns, so the people fled from their homes in fear. This has become a city of refugees. There is not enough food to feed everyone, and many have no choice but to beg in the streets to feed their families.”

“This should not be,” Phoenix growled. “Now do you see why I fight, Lian? Now do you understand why I am on a quest to find the stones, and after that Demetrius?”

Lian stopped the horse, and turned to look him in the eye. “Even so, you are a bloody man, Phoenix. What makes you think you can rule any better than Demetrius will once the kingdoms of the land have fallen?”

“I can be merciful,” he retorted. “Once the lords have submitted, the land can heal under a new ruler, a ruler who cares about them.”

“A ruler who will kill them to ensure the lords fealty, no doubt.”

Phoenix remembered the time he was transported to the realm of the gods, and the words Demetrius had said. He echoed him then, saying, “some harm must be caused before the land, and its people, can heal.”

Phoenix dismounted from the unmoving horse, and went to the nearest beggar, leaning down to be eye to eye with the man sitting against the stone wall of a building with his hand outstretched.

Removing two coins from his pocket and placing them in the man's hand, he listened the man's babble of thanks. “Why have to you come to Drakurn, friend?”

The man smiled sorrowfully, showing that he was missing two teeth. “I'm sure a lord such as yourself knows the man who rides on our villages, killing our people and razing our homes.”

“I do, but I wanted to hear what you think of him? What shall you do if he wins and you are subjected to his rule?”

“I think he is a thrice blasted son of a whore, and I'll revolt and die alongside my countrymen before I submit to him, or his sister.”

Phoenix was surprised at the mention of a sister. Could this man know more than he and Lian? He pressed the questioning, his voice dropping to a whisper. “Demetrius has a sister?”

The old man cackled. “Demetrius is the least our worries, now that we are safe in Drakurn, my lord. I speak of the Black Phoenix. The lords of this city know they cannot stop him, and have done their best to shield us common folk from his wrath. His sister rides beside him, an ugly, scarred monstrosity, killing those he was cruel enough to let live after he killed their families.”