Descent Into Darkness Chapter 41

Well, it's been a week, and now we're only three votes from the challenge of 290. I'll institute the same challenge until it has been met. 290 votes or one week, and I'll upload another chapter. I hope you all enjoy, as this chapter explains every question most of you should have. If you have one that isn't covered, leave me a comment!

That caught his attention. “How do you expect that four more people will make a difference?”

“You yourself have said the we five are the strongest elementals you have ever seen. That counts for something.”

He laughed softly. “Five elementals will be no match for his entire army.”

She glared at him. “Then you, my friend, have not read the prophecy closely enough.”

“Then please, tell me what I am missing.”

She smirked. “You are the god here, not I. If you can not figure out your own damned prophecy, then I will tell you nothing.”

He shook his head with a small smile. “How can I, when the book is back in the cave?”

He was not in the least bit surprised when she removed the book from a pocket in her pants, and he opened it to the marked page. Reading aloud, he spoke the words as the sun began to set. “One is within, one will be given, two will be taken, but four are required to save the extinguished flame. Four set out, soon to become one lost to stones cold embrace. Destruction smolders in his wake, until salvation comes from olden air, a molten blade, and deep despair. Mighty phoenix incarnate, longing for home, to return to surprise; on the path to home, the phoenix brought low. Companions arrive, deals are struck, the phoenix will need much luck. To the land of the enemy, through forests, over mountain, field, and gravel. A mighty battle spills much blood, the end of the phoenix has begun. Into the enemy’s lair the companions fly, five survive, one will die. The fate of all rests in the phoenix's hands, if he gives into the enemy's demands. For all to be safe, the phoenix dies, never more to rise

Lian crossed her legs underneath herself and leaned forward. “Tell me how that passage applies to these last few months and to your family.”

He complied. “One is within is my flame. 'One will be given' I think would be someone giving me their powers in the manner you told me of. 'Two will be taken' are the powers I must kill to acquire. 'Four are required' means I will need control over all four elements to succeed.”

Lian smacked him upside the head, sending a sharp spike of pain into his neck. “No, dull one. You claim to be a god yet you can barely understand written language.”

He rubbed his now aching skull and glowered at her. “Then please, tell me what it means, O great one.”

She smirked again, the reflection of the fire in the square dancing in her pupils. “One is within is you, Phoenix. The one who shall be given is your sister. She was given to your father, yes?”

Realization began to dawn on him, the revelation sparking in his mind. “Yes,” he said slowly.

“Two will be taken. Who was taken, Phoenix?”

“Lindani and Spedro!” he exclaimed.

“And each of you possess a single element, a single gift, spanning all four possible powers.”

He still needed proof, and told her so though he was beginning to understand the ramifications. “Four set out,” she said, “soon to become one lost to stone's cold embrace? Sound familiar? How could that refer to your gifts?”

“It doesn't, but it talks of the stone and my leaving my family!” he replied, excitement flooding his chest.

Lian read on. “Destruction smolders in his wake, until salvation comes from olden air, a molten blade, and deep despair. Olden air was my sensei, molten blade was the knife you stabbed her with, and the despair was mine.”