Descent Into Darkness Chapter 55

Phoenix rose with the sun, and by late morning he was restless, waiting for the new arrival the phoenix had promised him. He packed a burlap sack with a large lunch, threw a cloak around his shoulders, strapped a sword to his back, and set off for the foothills to the west. He was sure Lian followed but every time he turned back to search for her he saw nothing on the rolling hills. Yaag was an hours walk behind him, smoke from the many fires of camped soldiers rising to the sky until they became almost a single black plume. He sighed contentedly and resumed his walk, looking up to the sun and basking in its warmth.

He found a single oak tree in the middle of one of the smaller hills, one that overlooked the road, and he sat at its base, kicking off his boots and unpacking the lunch. Eating in silence beneath the reaching arms of the tree, he watched the sunlight that peeked through the leaves dance in patterns upon the grass. He felt Lian's presence and removed an apple from the sack, shining it on his shirt before tossing it into the air directly above his head. A white hand shot from one of the boughs and snatched it, and Lian dropped down shortly after, crunching into the sweet fruit wordlessly. She sat near him, but did not speak, and he was grateful for it.

Time passed, and it was midday before he saw three white-clothed riders come round the bend in the road, all of them cloaked and hooded. He looked for Lian, and when he could not find her surmised that she had heard them before he had, and hidden herself somewhere in the tree soundlessly. He watched the riders for a moment before packing the remains of his lunch and stowing it beneath his cloak, slipping his boots back on and moving out of the rider's line of sight, opting instead to jog down past the next hill and meet them in the middle of the road.

He pulled up the hood of his cloak, knowing that the sun was high in the sky and the light would shadow his face well enough that the riders would not know who he was unless he wished it. He planted his feet and lowered his chin, drew his sword and placed the tip into the dirt, standing strong in the center of the lane. The riders came around the hill and slowed when they spied him, but he said nothing. "Ho there!" a man's gruff voice cried out. "We have come to join the war council!"

"From whence do you come?" Phoenix asked quietly, using the old words.

"Where we come from is our business, and you ought to remove yourself from it!" the man replied, pulling back the hood of his cloak to reveal a mess of brown hair, a long beard, and animalistic eyes. His hand had been creeping toward the broadsword on his hip the entire time but stopped in its path when the middle riders hand fell upon his shoulder. With a nod of deference, his hand went back to the pommel of his saddle, and the middle rider dismounted, crossing the distance between them until not ten feet separated them. The hood fell back to reveal the face of Elaina, the curly brown hair and large brown eyes unmistakable. "We would pass, if you would permit it, guardian."

"What business have you in Yaag?" Phoenix asked, keeping his tone level. If Elaina figured out who he was she was sure to kill him. Deep in his mind his conscience called that he would not fight her for his life, she deserved it if she wished it.

"We are answering the call of Lian, of the generals who have gathered there, to fight the storm that threatens to overtake Brisiris."

"You harbor no ill-will for any of its residents?"

"None," Elaina said softly, then closing the distance between them laid a hand on his shoulder. "Not even for you, Phoenix, son of Doritan."

Phoenix lifted a hand and removed his hood and stared into eyes. "Why? I injured your husband, killed many of your people."

"Under the influence of Avec. Not to say you are blameless, but not enough blame for me and mine to harbor anger toward you."

The wild man's hand went flying back to his sword and he unsheathed it in a practiced motion. "Speak for yourself, General. I would have his head."

"You will have no such thing," Elaina said softly, never taking her eyes from Phoenix's. "This is not the same man who slew our Ardon. Related perhaps, but not the same man."

Elaina closed her eyes and turned her head to the left, and Lian crested the hill in the same moment. Without opening her eyes Elaina greeted her saying, "Lian. I do not believe I ever thanked you for your help in Trontem."

"I do not require thanks, Elaina," Lian replied, joining them in the middle of the road. "I only thank you for coming when I asked."

Elaina bowed her head and turned back to her men. "Follow us please, but keep a distance, we three have much to talk about."

The men nodded, the wild one replacing his sword in his sheath, though his eyes wished death upon Phoenix with every glance. "Tell me," Elaina said, starting to walk toward the column of smoke on the horizon. "What has transpired since you two left Trontem?"

Lian regaled her with the story, while Phoenix walked in silence, wondering how this woman had come to forgive him, even though he had ensured her husband would never again make use of his legs. It was thoughts for another time though, when Elaina turned to him and began asking him questions about who had arrived so far, troop numbers and placements, and supplies. He recited the number for her, and Lian asked the question he had been thinking once he finished. "How many do you bring?"

"I bring six hundred soldiers and three hundred elementals from Trontem and its villages."

"They are sorely needed," Phoenix said while they rounded the last corner for home.