Descent Into Darkness Chapter 54

It's short, I know, but it needs to be for the next one. I hope you enjoy!

"See, Phoenix, we are not just representative of the elements, we are the elements, and the elements are us, and humanity is subject to our rules, so yes, we are gods."

"So you are saying I am to rule the people as their god? I never wanted to rule."

The fowl dipped its head. "While you are me and I am you, you could never rule the people as a god. Because you are the human manifestation of us, the god. You are not immortal, far from it. I am. You are corruptible. I am not. I am benevolent. You are prone to outbursts of anger. You would make a horrible ruler."

Phoenix scoffed. "Not one to be proud, I see."

"I am not capable of being proud. I am what I am, and what I say is true. We are both capable and incapable of things the other is, which is why we decided to take human form. There was of course the unseen effect of taking a body, the one that caused us to split. You have all my power, but none of my memories, while I have all your memories but lack your capability to feel. This is why I would not be a good ruler either. I lack the ability to connect with people. I do not share their zeal for life, I am life. I do not understand their emotion, I cannot be on their level."

Phoenix was confused. "So what am I to do? What would you want of me?"

The rumbling voice in his head took on a comforting tone. "I, am a slave to your will. When you were traveling the dark path, I followed begrudgingly, but I followed. Now that you once again tread the path of light and are attempting to remove darkness from the land, I am once again following, gladly, of course. I will do whatever you wish, whether that be to abandon the people of Brisiris and run, or fight Demetrius and die for them, I will follow. But know this, dying in service to the people is what we intended in the beginning, and I know that you can give your life willingly and freely."

"So you would ask me to give my life?"

"You agreed to, when you were me."

Phoenix brought his hand to his head and massaged his temples. "Speaking to you is making my head feel like it will crack in two. The manner in which you speak is infuriating."

"Then return to your body. You will find almost no time has passed. You can return here whenever you wish, simply meditate. We can have many conversations, and I can teach you much."

"You just told me that I can teach me things," Phoenix groaned, massaging harder. "You do not see the problem here?"

"And I do not understand how you cannot grasp this. There are things we find perplexing about the other, and we will never understand them until we are once again one."

"I will return home, after a question," Phoenix said, hoping that he would be able to understand the answer. "When I summon you, you can hear my thoughts, correct?"

"Your thoughts are mine, so yes."

"That was easier than I thought," Phoenix said, gearing himself for his return home.

"One more thing," the rumble said, and the fowl spread its wings wide. "I gave you a gift last time we met, and I have one more for you, if you would take it."

"By all means."

"You have been training with your natural born sister, but you are still ignorant in the ways of the air-born. Myself and my siblings know all about the natures of the others, it is our way." The bird touched his beak to Phoenix's forehead. "I will impart to you all I can of her knowledge, and more of ours. Now go, back to the Eastern woman. A very special guest will be arriving on the morrow, and you must be ready."

"Will Demetrius be here to meet me if I return?"

"If you no longer wish to conversate with him, I will see that he does not appear before you again."

"You will not allow him back in this realm?"

"Unfortunately, I cannot bar him from here, as giving up my power to assume human form also gave up my power to control the goings on here. But I can ensure he stays well away from you."

"Why does he even have the ability to show up here if he himself is not part of a god?"

"Back to Lian, Phoenix, and all your questions will be answered in time."

Phoenix was suddenly back in his body, with Lian sitting next to him. He peeked at her, and she had not seemed to move. He opened his eyes all the way and looked up to the sun, to find it had not moved since he had looked last. It was hanging low in the sky, so he turned to the woman sitting next to him and suggested they head home. "Of course," she replied, standing with beguiling grace and extended her hand to him. He grasped it and she pulled him to his feet, then they turned back toward Yaag, and Phoenix felt excitement for the morrow, wondering what the arrival of the morning would bring.