II. The Flower of the Moon

14 YEARS LATER

Arianna's POV

I could feel the pain shoot through my arms, begging me to relieve myself from all the straining. Another bead of sweat trickled down my back, tracing my spine. My damp shirt clung to me, increasing my discomfort. My shoulders were aching from supporting all the weight for the past three hours, preventing myself from getting crushed. My legs were getting numb from sitting on my knees all this long.

I clenched my jaw, looking down, staring at the granules of soil; trying my best to distract myself. I had almost succeeded in blocking out my pain.

" Spine straight Arianna! " A loud voice bellowed.

Immediately, I straightened, silently cursing as it increased the pressure on my shoulders, almost crushing me. Letting out a battered breath, I stared ahead stoic, like a soldier, grinding my teeth.

Master Martin King marched and stood in front of me, I could see his combat boots and cargo pants.

" Now stand! " His thick gravel voice commanded.

I lifted my left leg so I was kneeling on my right knee, I gripped the ground by bending my right foot, extending in a half crouch and then slowly, I rose making sure to keep my spine straight. Once on both my feet, I looked into the scrutinizing hard blues eyes of Master. Standing at my full height, my 5'8" frame easily got towered by his 6' intimidating frame. Whom was I kidding, with an aura of authority like his, he could intimidate anyone even if he were a dwarf. Pursing his lips into a thin line, he gave me a small nod and he shifted, allowing me the view of the endless water body in front of me.

Stepping back, I tightened my hold on the large stone boulder I had been holding over my head all this while, my fingers digging into it. I ran to the edge of the cliff and threw the boulder with all my might, launching it high in air towards the horizon. The sky was filled with hues of yellow and orange, with traces of sun rising above the layer of water. Joining my hands, I extended my arms, pointing the tip of my fingers towards the slowly descending boulder. Closing my eyes, I concentrated till I felt the energy coursing through the boulder. Once, I felt it, I quickly opened my eyes, fixing them on the source of energy now coursing through me as well. I separated my hands with a jerk and this gesture of mine was closely followed by a loud crack. The boulder cracked in half and fell into the water creating a loud splash, followed by bubbles and ripples.

Turning back to Master, I kneeled.

" It was an improvement. " He noted.

I sighed, sagging my stinging shoulders but quickly squared them before Master could notice it. But of course he noticed it, I could feel his heavy gaze on them. Luckily, he didn't point it out.

" Stand. " He ordered.

In a flash, I was standing stiffly, my feet a shoulder's width apart, spine straight, shoulders leveled, hands clenched on either sides and chin raised.

" You did well, you are free to go. " He told me kindly yet sternly.

" Yes Master! " I stamped my right foot on the ground with a loud thud, a respectful gesture we did to greet him.

Relaxing my aching muscles, I winced as I could barely move an inch. I shot Master a sheepish smile as he raised an eyebrow at me and started limping back towards the castle, waiting for my body to complete its healing process which it had already started. Just a matter of few more minutes, then I would be completely fine. I had barely limped three steps when a voice called out.

" Umm. If the student-teacher conference is over, mind putting the son out of his misery too? " Stark gasped, sweating profusely. His face had turned completely red and hands were turning white as he supported another boulder over his head.