XIX.Golden and White

I spotted Valium the first thing on walking out of the portal and started walking towards him. As soon as his eyes landed on me as I made my way towards him. His face lit-up with a bright and relieved smile, and he started in my direction. Engulfing me in a warm hug, he sighed,

" You have no idea how worried you had all of us! And knowing you were treated by Lord Darkness? I was more scared than worried. He's damn intimidating. " He squeezed me further.

" Oh, you have no idea! But he's kind. "

He released me with a small smile still decorating his handsome face. Running my hands through my hair, I let out a nervous laugh and gestured towards the registration line.

" Let's go and join the others. "

I was about to walk when he held me by my arm and gave it a little squeeze.

" Are you sure you are fine? " His eyes searched mine.

I gave him a reassuring nod but when he didn't leave my arm, I gave him a quizzical look. Suddenly making him realize of his hand still holding onto me. Letting go of it with a small blush, he rubbed the back of his neck nervously,

" I was wondering.....if you would, you know.. like to be my partner for the tournament. It will give us an opportunity to get to know each other better. No pressure at all, it's totally fine if you have someone else decided for it. I only meant that since we haven't met in all these years and you were in the Shadow Castle so kind of had time with Damie-"

" Of course, Liam, I would love to pair up with you! " I decided to take pity on his adorable babbling.

Letting out a relieved sigh he started walking with me, bumping our shoulders playfully towards other group members, who, I was sure, had a good time eavesdropping his rant. Poor Liam.

Once we joined them, waiting for our turn, we chatted about how everything went back home.

" Wait, " I said, looking around, " Where did Carter go? "

" Right here. " He poked the back of my shoulder with a small smile.

I jumped in surprise. I didn't sense his presence and that was new.

I wasn't paying attention.

With a smile, I held his arm and pulled him next to me. I introduced him to everyone, making him shift a little. He was getting a complex; scared of being judged and ridiculed. It made me really sad that he never had anyone to help him believe in himself. I squeezed some comfort into his arm. Catching it, he glanced at me with a smile. His eyes held relief and hope. There was something else too; uncertainty. He didn't believe I would stick around.

" So Carter, how old are you? " Zachary raised his brows at him.

Fidgeting a little, Carter let out a nervous laughter, " Three months? "

Liam chuckled.

" Good sense of humour, pal. " Oliver went to pat his back but withdrew as soon as he touched him, as if burnt.

His reaction made others look at him with confusion, the same expression he wore while staring at Carter; who hung his head in shame. I glared at Oliver and turned to Carter. My worried eyes met his wide hazel ones, they were swirling with fear.

Fear of what?

I wanted to ask, but I didn't.

" I am sorry, Carter. " Oliver apologised, a layer of confusion still present in his voice.

Clearing his throat, he nodded.

" I should getting going. Thank you, for having me here. "

" Wait! " I looked at him alarmed, " Aren't you joining the tournament? "