XXV.The Torch Of Light

We all held our breaths, gazing at the night sky which was covered with grey clouds and mist. There was no sign of anything else. Just when I was about to give up, I saw it. Near the snow-covered mountain-top, it was faint but definitely real. Streaks of green-violet danced across the sky, its reflections lighting up the snow peaks; the Northern Lights. Of course, Cristalline was also called the North. I never understood why though; it was located at the centre of all the 12 realms. The lights were beautiful. Awed, we all looked back at Liam who had a hopeful expression,

" Remember the childhood story of the Northern Lights? " He asked, looking at us.

" You mean the myth that they were the reflection of the immense treasure? " Raghav asked.

" Yes, that. " Zeneri answered.

" If you come to think of it, the description suits the torch, plus it is one of three treasures to be hunted. " I mused thoughtfully.

" Exactly. " Liam nodded.

" If that's the case, then ice can serve as the reflector. So if our guess is right, then the torch must be in some crystal cave or something like that. " Ian said, still not looking at me.

" There are multiple entrances to those caves; I checked while waiting. We have to split. " Drake said, pointing towards where he came from, after examining the mountains.

" Let's not waste time then, and start searching. " Vera said gazing at the lights.

I went in with Liam; this gave us time to discuss our approach as a pair when the time came. I explained to him the landscape as we scaled the caves. Earlier, they were dark but soon frozen crystals started appearing. Initially in small numbers, then clusters and soon enough the entire roof and walls of the cave was covered with ice. The mouth of the cave was becoming wider and the floor damp and slippery.

" The land is quite wide. It'll be hard to guess where the Scythe might be. Especially since the entire land is covered with mist and snow, creating the environment of the Shadow Forest. Any place can be suitable." Liam said, looking at me with a small frown.

" Yeah, you are right. " I mirrored his expression.

Suddenly, the floor under my feet disappeared and I slide down one of the ice burrows with a yelp.

" Aria! " Liam's shout echoed the entire way I fell.

" Oof! " The breath was knocked out of my lungs as I slammed against the solid ice, leaving small cracks on it. I was thankful it didn't break, the last thing I needed was drowning in freezing water and not being able to use my powers to escape or heat myself.

Looking around, I sat up rubbing my left elbow; everything was pure ice. There were multiple openings, confusing me as to which one to choose and go through.

Looking up, I noticed that there was no way Liam could follow me, the burrow had magically disappeared; the same way it had opened.

I stood up, facing the openings squaring my shoulders, I chose the middle one. Everything was smooth; too smooth to be natural. I knew that something was off. But what confirmed my suspicions was; when I came across a perfectly smooth wall marred with scratches. Lots of large scratches.

Instantly alert, I drew out my sword and slowly moved forward, ready for whatever creature that had caused those marks. I felt a slight tremor through the ground, then all was silent; eerily silent. I had barely taken another step forward when a loud screeching howl resonated throughout the cave, making me wince at its sharpness. And then, I heard the sound of paws with long talons, scratching against the ice. Whatever it was, I was sure, it was on move and it was running towards me.