Epilogue

I could see the my hot breath turning frosty in the chilly weather. Rubbing my hands together, I ignited a tiny bonfire in my palm to keep me warm. Just as I was starting to warm up, the snow on the branch above me slide off, drowning me in it. Crawling out from the new pile, I scowled as I felt the temperature drop a few degrees, making me shiver.

" Arse. " I muttered, hearing laughter above me.

Ian landed in front of me, his beautiful eyes brimming with amusement. I sat down, glaring at him as the snow covered me from head to toe, my arms crossed.

" This is the third time you did that Ian! I am not sure I want to go where ever you want to take me anymore. " I pouted slightly.

" Awww, Dove, I can't help it if you sit like that every time; looking utterly adorable and irresistible. " He crouched in front of me and gently removed snow from my hair and shoulders.

When I made no move, he gave out a small chuckle and kissed my nose, making me smile involuntarily.

" That's cheating! " I scowled at him trying hide the warmth spreading through me, despite the cold he was radiating.

" Whatever makes my Dove smile. " He sang and started walking ahead.

I quickened my pace to catch up with him. Noticing it, he started running, turning midway to shoot me a wink. With a huff I broke in a run as well. If I thought that being my other half would miraculously make him any less annoying, I was gravely mistaken. There was nothing holding him back anymore. But I knew that no matter how much I complained, I won't have it any other way.

He finally stopped running and turned to me, making me stop too. Started taking off his clothes, leather jacket followed by his grey V-neck. I looked at him confused but my thoughts were silenced by what I saw next. His eyes had turned red, but they were soft and comforting, loving. He rolled his shoulders once, then twice followed by a gust which made the snow around us unsettle, hindering visibility for a second.

I gasped at what I saw once the snow settled. There stood in front of me, in all his dark glory, Damien Darkness Knight, his massive black wings unflurring on either sides of him, his black tattooed swirls dancing along his chiselled body and soft red eyes looking at me with curiosity. His swirls shifted and to my surprise, extended to his knuckles, stretching out of his skin. They were the flames of shadows dancing around, tilting in my direction, searching for me.

" So beautiful! " I ran my fingers through his feathers making his wing shiver slightly, " Oh and fluffy too! " I added gleefully, making him shake his head and let out a breathy chuckle.

" No seriously, Ian. They are breathtaking. I am in love with them. " I smiled at him.

" Who can't fall in love with them? " He asked cockily, making me roll my eyes.

Suddenly, he wrapped his wings around us making me fall in his awaiting arms. His shadow tattoos gladly wrapped themselves around my arms and waist, caressing me lovingly, feeling like a blanket of comfort and warming me up.

" What! " I squeaked in surprise.

" They are called Shadow Fire, allowing me to walk through the dark and shadows. They seem to be obsessed with you. " He chuckled in my hair, pulling me closer.

The next second, his wings were wide open and we were standing on the top of the highest hill of the range. The same one, we trekked 4 days back. There were no clouds covering the sky, the dawn was here and the sun was expected to rise soon.

Standing behind me, Ian rested his chin on my head.

" This place will always be special for me. " I whispered running my eyes along the forest, the mist had lifted allowing a perfect view from up here. " Thank you for bringing me here. "

Ian hummed in agreement, hugging me gently from behind. This moment was perfect, instinctively my hands came up to hold my pendant, only to reach an empty space, making me frown.

" My pendant. " I added sadly.

" You haven't found it yet? " Ian lifted his head to look at me.

Meeting his eyes, I shook a little no. " We will find it I promise. " He assured me.

" I'll hold you to that. " Flashing him a small smile, I turned back to where I was looking.

" Till then. You can wear this, " He scratched his head, " to help with the emptiness. " He bound the amulet with the crest of Cristalline around my bare neck.

It was the trophy of the Ethereal tournament. Since he was the one to draw out the Scythe, he was declared the winner. The nemesis weren't spotted since their disappearance but everyone was on edge. And we had a lot to talk about with our parents; lots of questions we seeked answers to.

" You were carrying it in your pocket. " I beamed at him.

" Yeah, I was. " He smiled, admiring the crest.

" So, you chose to carry your prize in pocket rather than wearing it? What a weirdo. " I teased him, flicking his nose.

" Stuck with the weirdo for the rest of the eternity? Aww, you wee lamb. " He played along, making me laugh.

Turning me around, he said, " No seriously, eternity is no joke. Back there in the cave, I was scared when I saw you. For the first time in my existence, I got scared at the thought of losing you. I had just found out who you were to me. But in that moment when I was about to strike Duzzatt, all I saw in your eyes was hurt, rage and hate. I feared that you might reject me, I feared that Adam might succeed in his plan to get you to hate me. " I could see it on his face how difficult it was for him to speak of it, to speak of his feelings. He wasn't used to it.

Swallowing, he fished a small black velvet box with a tiny silver bow out of his trouser pocket. He open the box, its contents making my eyes go wide.

" Arianna Fate, this is no proposal because, I know its way too early for it. And I will wait for as long as it takes for you to be ready to say yes when I ask you that question. But yes, this is a promise of a new beginning; the start of our eternity together. The promise to tolerate, support, understand and love each other for the coming eternity. To start and never stop fighting for one another. No matter what. " Plucking the ring out, he held it out in my direction.

It had a platinum band shaped like an olive branched crown, with a decent sized black diamond in the centre. I had seen my fair share of jewelleries, but this was so beautiful and exotic. I knew at once that it was a family heirloom.

Tears shined in my eyes as I smiled up at him, extending my left hand, I repeated, " No matter what. "

Sliding the ring in my ring finger, Ian rested his forehead against mine. His smile mirroring the one that stretched my lips. We stood like that for some time, then I turned to where the castle was, it's grey structure looking beautiful in the snow covered landscape, interwinding our fingers.

I knew the nemesis would return and I knew that everything and everyone I loved was threatened. I was also very well aware that the fight won't be easy. A war was on its way and there was no way to avoid it. But I was ready to face them, to face anything because I had the best people guarding my back and the best mate standing beside me.

With these thoughts floating my mind, I rested my head against Ian's shoulder, squeezing his hand. He squeezed right back, making me grin. His wings curled around us to protect against the cold wind. I spotted a flash of gold and black at a distance, near the river, Leon and his mate. I smiled.

Together we watched the sunrise, how the sun bathed Cristalline in a new light, bringing hope for us and our future.

don't forget to vote!