XIV. The Cat and the Mouse

" Dove? " I looked at him as if he had grown horns.

Sighing, he started walking and since I didn't know where we were, I had no choice but to follow him. Trailing through the grass, we were headed towards a green curtain. My head started throbbing badly as we neared the tree belt. Pausing in front of it, he turned to me,

" I have something that belongs to you. "

" Belongs to me? " I furrowed my brows not understanding where all of this was going.

In reply, he simply stepped towards me and placed both his thumbs on my temples. His eyes turning red as he stared at me, creating panic inside me.

" Trust me. " His voice had an echo in it, sounding more deadly but somehow, I believed it; believed him.

Relaxing, I closed my eyes and gasped as I felt memories flooding my mind.

14 years ago

Looking around in confusion, I tried to find my way out. After Damien had pulled my hair, he had apologised and as a peace offering asked me to follow him to the courtyard. He said he would show me something he hadn't shown to anyone else. Foolishly, I had believed him and left the celebrations only, to land in the current situation.

I was standing in the private courtyard of the Shadow Castle all alone. Well, if one didn't count the guards, that is. Their stares following my every move as I cluelessly looked around, sitting on the fountain wall, made me a little uncomfortable. Having tall, stoic soldiers of Lord Darkness as the only company when you were lost in Shadow Castle, of all the places in all of the realms, was definitely intimidating to say the least. Biting my lips, I stared at my feet, fighting my tears. I dipped the fingers of my right hand into the fountain water, distracting myself.

Damien was so mean, why did he had to spoil my birthday? I sat there, trying to decide whether to go to the soldiers for help or not, desperately trying to think of an excuse not to. I didn't want him to laugh at me for taking help of the soldiers to find my way back. I spent the next few minutes contemplating what to do. When I couldn't think of anything, I decided that it would be for my best interests to go to one of these soldiers and ask them to escort me back. Hopping off, I landed on my little legs and started walking to the nearest soldier who was standing by the wall, on the steps.

With small hesitant steps, I scratched my little brain, thinking what to say without sounding silly. I could feel his eyes on me and the heaviness of his gaze was enough to turn me red from the roots of my hair to the tip my toes. I stood at the base of the steps shyly, twiddling my small thumbs. Sighing, I took the first step when a big cat darted from the bushes and stopped in front of me, making me jump. Staggering back, I stared at it in wonder. It's large red eyes regarded me for a second too long making me realise it was trying to scare me. I narrowed my eyes at the cat, trying to tell it that it can't scare me.

I tried to walk around it but it jumped in my way with a little purr. Frowning, I stepped left, it stepped in the same direction, then I stepped right and again it did the same. With a frustrated huff, I ran to my right, sideways and it mirrored. Panting, I sat on the steps. It didn't want me to go to the guard for help. Once it saw that I wasn't trying to approach the guard anymore, it leisurely walked, swaying with its tail curled in the air and rubbed itself against me. I sat still and pouted as it circled me, reaching behind me, it rubbed its head against my back. Just as I was about to relax, it pushed me off the stairs. Yelping, I landed on my back and winced. I tried getting up but the cat came and placed its front paws on me, pining me to the ground.

I glared at it. I had a feeling it was really enjoying riling me up. It reminded me so much of Damien. The thought made me pause. Looking at it closely, I froze. Pushing it off, I crawled back with wide eyes. It was Damien's partner of heart and mind. I looked at the soldier but he seemed unaffected, not worried about me getting scrapped by the creature in front of me. My eyes shifted back to it as it sat licking its paw, its eyes trained on me. Placing the paw back on the grass, it tilted its head and kept on staring.