XXX.Innocent

As the momentary paralysis wore off me, I sprang into action.

" Why? " I barely whispered, my lower lip trembled as another set of tears shone in my eyes.

I knew it was only a soft whisper but he heard it. The tilting of his hooded head as he continued to stare at me with those unnerving red eyes told me likewise.

" Why! " This time my voice was louder, more hoarse as anger took over my emotions.

He made no indication to move or reply. But in all honesty, neither did I wait for him to. I took a swing at him with my sword but again, he vanished before it could touch him, leaving a trail of blackened mist and charred snow behind him. I knew I was not in the right state of mind. I knew I should have gone to call for help, a backup but I didn't do anything of that sort. No. What did I do? I ran headfirst, behind him.

Following the black trail and bloody footprints, I reached the main entrance. With dreadful strides, I went on and opened the door only to find the hallway and reception empty. Not a single soul in sight, not a sound to be heard. Only thing visible was the destruction; broken artifacts, paintings torn and fallen, walls scratched; some even had holes in them. Smoke rising from the damage, black smoke. Clenching my jaw, I followed the path of destruction and I found myself standing in front of the doors to the ballroom; the same one we had our dance class in.

Pulling them open, I took the scene in front of me in horror. All the windows had been broken, allowing the mist to slowly creep in. The chandeliers had crashed to the floor, their glass scattering the dance floor. But was most odd was how the giant chandelier had sunken into the floor, in the middle of the room. Walking to it, I swept the floor clear of strands of glass with my feet and bent, knocking the it. As doubted, it sounded hollow. So, I started punching it repeatedly until the floor underneath gave away. The marble, now slightly covered with my blood, cracked and eventually collapsed.

Underneath, I found a dungeon totally covered in darkness,

" Here goes nothing. " I breathed as I jumped.

It was deep and reminded me of the way to the White Nest; another painful memory and reminder of the betrayal. After falling for sometime, I landed with my weapons ready. The ground was soft; moist with algae covering it. I could see light coming from my right, so I followed it. Just like in the mountains, the mouth of the cave widened giving way to a huge dome full of crystals. Only these weren't ice crystals, these crystals were different, diverse.

Their coloured varied; dark violet, blood red, silver, white, black, golden, royal blue, turquoise, grey, bright orange, pale pink. These colours scattered all around on the floor and walls, but the dome was different. The crystals protruding from the dome were a mixture of black crystals with silver swirls in them and white crystals with specks of gold in them. In the middle of the entire cluster of crystals, I saw a sword. Only its black handle with a silver dragon head shaped pommel were visible.

" The Scythe of Death. " I marvelled with wide eyes at the entire scene in front of me.

It would be very tricky to draw it from there, not that it would stop me; I had to defeat Ian. But before I could take any step in the direction of the sword, I heard a pained groan. Soon, the source of groan was thrown across the opening, against the opposite wall. I saw Damien walking towards who I identified as Dan; his hood no longer covering his face. He pulled Dan from his collar and started choking him, raising him in air with his feet no longer touching the ground.

Walking in further, I saw few of his teammates dead and some more injured; Blair one of them. Though everything was in front of me, confirming what I suspected, I didn't want to believe any of it. But alas, I was out of excuses. My eyes met Blair's wide ones, she looked at me with relief but when she saw the delima in my eyes, she decided to prove her point.

" Please! " She begged Ian, " Don't hurt my brother, please. " Weeping, she tried crawling towards them.

Her plea made Ian throw Dan roughly on the ground. Turning towards her,

" Why? Find it hard to see him die in front of your eyes? " He snarled, making her wince and nod meekly.

I had never seen him like that before; so dangerous, so feral.

Letting out a humourless laugh, he continued," Well, I can help you with that; how about I end your pathetic life first? "

With that, he ran towards the wall next to him and jumped skillfully using the crystals to climb to the dome. All this while, I had sneaked nearer the centre where Blair was lying helplessly and hid behind a cluster of blood red crystals. On reaching the dome, Ian leapt towards the Scythe. His left hand successfully caught its handle. Using its aid, he bent his body, placing his foot on the dome such that he was standing on it, defying gravity and pulled using his strength.

Once the sword was drawn, he started falling. Doing a clean back flip, mid-air, he landed perfectly on the ground. Scythe in his hand, he stalked towards Blair and dragged her towards Dan with her right leg. All the while she begged him with her pleas and me with her eyes.

Damien raised the Scythe, holding it with both his hands causing it to catch fire. The silver blade of the Scythe was burning blue, lighting from its shoulder which had a black diamond encrusted in it. But before he could swing the sword, I sprang from my hiding place,

" Stop! " I shouted, making him freeze. Taking advantage of it, I started walking towards him.

" What do you think you are doing, Damien? " I asked him coldly, pointing my sword at him.

His wide eyes only opened the gates of hurt, anger and betrayal. And something else, something that got drowned in those other emotions so I couldn't point what it was.

" It's not what it looks like. " He miserably tried and failed to explain.

" Right. Back off, Knight. " I glared at him.

" Do- " Before he could complete his sentence, someone hit him at the base of his neck, making him lose his grip from the Scythe and fall on his knees, holding his neck. The Scythe clanking few meters away.

There behind him stood the same cloaked figure with red eyes, staring holes in my soul. Before I could react, I was hit the same way.

" Well, that went well. " I managed to hear Blair's sarcasm as she strutted over me, towards the cloaked figure, dusting her hands.

I lost my consciousness with one thought that filled me with relief in this moment of despair,

It wasn't Ian, he's innocent.

don't forget to vote!