Chapter 39

OWENS POV
We had to fight today, I had to kill people. I know my PTSD is going to come back and I'm scared it's going to affect the baby. I really miss Amelia. I hope she's doing okay. We can write letters now. I miss her like crazy.
Amelia,
I miss you like crazy. I'm okay though. I've had to fight a few times. Now we can write letters to each other, it's coming to the end of the week which means I can see you in 2 weeks. I'm doing okay and so hope you are too. I'll attach my mailing address so you can send me letters back. How is the baby? I love you so much and I can't wait to go home to you. Sorry this is really short, I'll write more to you I promise. I love you Amelia. xoxo
- Owen
I think about her everyday here. She puts me in my happy place. When I'm here I'm not sure what or where that is. We had some time to sleep. I pulled my sleeping bag over me and put my head on my pillow. I started at the top of my tent. I heard a gunshot. This is war.

AMELIAS POV
I folded the letter and put it in my draw. I got up and walked out of my office. I had 20 minutes before my next surgery.
"Hey shepherd," Riggs said. I turned around and he was walking with Meredith.
"Hey Riggs," I said mimicking his accent.
"It's not nice to make fun of people," he laughed. I laughed.
"You coming over tonight?" Meredith asked.
"Don't know," I said. Nathan got a pulled into another room.
"You doing alright?" She asked.
"Id be lying if I said yes," I said. She put her arm around me.
"You can always talk to me about it," she said.
"I know," I said, "also I wanted to ask you something."
"Okay," she said.
"Do you want to be Derek's godmother?" I smiled.
"Yes!" She said hugging me, "thank you!"
"You're welcome," I said.
-
I pulled into the driveway. The flag of the mailbox was up. I opened it and I saw an envelope from the Military. I felt my chest tighten up. Do they send letters if he is dead? I called Maggie.
M- Maggie
A- Amelia
M: hello?
A: hey how much do you know about the military
M: not much why
A: do they send letters when someone dies
M: I don't know why?
A: because I have a letter from the military
M: oh... maybe it's a letter from Owen
A: I'm scared to open it
M: I'll stay on the line
A: okay
I opened the envelope. I saw my name at the top. It was a letter from him. I smiled.
M: Amelia are you okay?
A: you were right
M: I'm glad
A: okay I'm gonna read this now, bye, thank you
M: no problem call me if u need anything
A: okay
I sat down and read the letter. I had to go get my letter. I got in the car and got over to the hospital. I ran upstairs and got the letter out of my draw. I grabbed an envelope and wrote his mailing address on it. When I got home I put the envelope in the mailbox. I feel a lot better that Owen is okay and I can write to him. I am still worried as hell, but it makes me feel a little better. I made dinner and turned the TV on. I looked at Owen's letter again. I miss him so much. I cleaned the my dish and put his note on my night table. I looked at the empty bed. I'm having such a hard time with him not being here. He'll be back soon. I miss him so much. I grabbed my phone and laid on the bed. I closed my eyes and laid my head on his pillow.
-
I woke up feeling sick. My head really hurt. I got up and looked at the time. Great, I was 45 minutes late for work. I have 10 missed calls from Mer. I called her back.
M- Meredith
A- Amelia
M: are you okay?
A: yeah I don't feel good
M: are you coming to work?
A: no, I should call in
M: okay I'll stop by later
A: okay

I hung up and texted Kepner real quick and told her I was sick. I rolled over in bed and put my phone down. I put my head into Owen's pillow. I can't wait for him to come home.
-
I heard someone open the trailer door. I rolled over.
"Just me," Mer said. I had a splitting headache.
"Not so loud, headache," I said putting Owens pillow over my head.
"Do you have a fever?" She asked. I felt her sit down at the end of the bed.
"There's a thermometer in the top left draw," I said. She got up and rummaged through the draw. I sat up and looked at her.
"Honey you look really sick," she frowned.
"I feel terrible," I said. I took my temperature and I had a high fever.
"You need anything?" He asked.
"Owen," I said laying back down. She frowned.
"Yeah I know, something practical," I said. I rolled over and faced the ceiling.
"I feel like absolute shit," I said.
"What hurts?" She asked.
"Head," I said. I got up and walked into the kitchen I grabbed water. I felt like I was going to throw up. I ran into the bathroom and puked. I pulled my hair back and flushed the toilet. I splashed water on my face. I opened the door and looked at Meredith.
"I just want Owen," I said.