Chapter 27~ Far

He sighs as he sits down next to me, "Are you sure?"

I nod, avoiding eye contact, ashamed that I hadn't told him sooner, "I'm sorry, Cole."

"Is... is that why Jared-"

"Yeah."

He wraps me in a tight hug, and suddenly I'm calm, "I'll help you through this, Y/N. I won't abandon you. Not now, not ever. You can count on me."

I close my eyes and melt in his embrace, "Thank you, Cole. I've never had such a great friend."

His hand rubs my back softly, "I know. I'm pretty great... but you do remember the cast has an interview today?"

I sigh, "Fuck. I forgot."

He pulls away, letting his hands linger on my forearms, "You sit next to me and Shay. Only focus on us and the interviewer, okay?"
I nod, smiling at his everlasting support, "Okay."

***

I sit down next to Shay and Cole, as planned. She looks over at me, sympathy resting on her features, "How are you doing? Cole filled me in a little... about you leaving Jared."

"Honestly, Shay, I'm doing better than I expected-" the door opens and Jared walks in. My head raises and we lock eyes. Shay's hand guides my head away to look back at her.

"None of that, Y/N. Ignore him."

I nod slowly, and I feel Cole's hand grab my own, giving it a quick squeeze before letting go. We smile at each other, "Coffee after this?" He asks me and Shay.

"Sure." We say in unison, followed by a giggle. 

The interviewer walks in, a huge smile on her face, "Hey, guys!"

We all mumble hi and hey as she takes a seat. I adjust my mic clipped onto my shirt and my hair before she turns the camera on, "Hello, this is Casey Cooper with the scoop. Today, I'm here with the cast of Shy! How are you all?"

An array of goods and okays are spoken, "Awesome! So, Y/N, this is your first lead role in a movie, how does it feel, and what makes it different from your other minor rolls?"

"Oh, um... Well, I've definitely been getting a lot of recognition, which is really different. It feels, y'know- there's mixed feelings honestly because I was so used to going unnoticed, and now I have at least fifteen people coming up to me asking for pictures every time I leave the house." I finish with a nod, and she just smiles and moves onto the next question.

"Do you feel like some of this recognition is coming from your relationship with Jared?"

I freeze, paralyzed at the mention of his name. Cole notices my sudden loss for words and chimes in, "Can we please stick to questions about the movie?" He says politely.

"My apologies." Casey says with a grin before asking the others questions.

As she's asking and we're answering, I can't help but sneak glances at Jared. I can't wait for this interview to be over with so I can get as far away from him as possible.