Chapter Seven

The next morning, I woke up, and sat up. I rubbed my eyes, and stretched. Suddenly, last night came back to me, and I smiled to myself.

I climbed out of bed, and slowly put pressure on my leg. It felt way better, and I walked to the door. I peeked out, and I saw Hershel down the hall, talking to Rick. I turned around and went back to the bed, and sat on the edge.

Hershel and Rick came in the room. "How's it feel?" Hershel asked.

"A thousand times better," I said happily.

"Well enough to do a job for me?" Rick asked.

"Depends on what it is," I said.

He smiled slightly. "I need you and Carl to go out and take care of some of the walkers in the yard. Can you do that?"

"Yeah, I guess," I said. "Is Carl up for it?"

"Carl's always up for it," Rick said.

"Cool," I said. "Just give me a minute to get ready?"

"Whenever you're ready," Rick said, leaving the room.

Hershel gave me a small smile and followed Rick out of the room. I slid off the bed and opened my bag. I pulled out some dark jeans and a white t-shirt, slipping them on and then pulling on my combat boots.

I walked out of the cell block and walked over to Rick. "Where's Carl?" I asked, looking around.

"Coming," Rick said. "He had to go switch his weapon. He had a pistol, not sure why, he knows not to use one unless it's urgent."

Carl walked up to us, holding out a pipe for me. "Ready?" I asked.

"Ready," he said, gripping his pipe.

"Then let's go," I said, starting for the gate.

"Be careful," Rick called after us.

"We will," Carl said, swatting at his dad.

Carl walked over and opened up the gates for me. "Ladies first," he said, gesturing towards the field of walkers.

"Such a gentleman," I said, gripping my pipe tightly and walking through the gates.

He closed the gate behind us. "Let me show you how to do it," he said, walking over to a walker. "Observe."

He approached the walker slowly, holding his pipe in one hand with the other hand out. the walker turned on him, lunging at him but he grabbed it by the collar of it's shirt, holding it away from him and he stabbed the pipe through it's brain. "You think you got it?" he asked, cleaning off the pipe on his already blood-stained shirt.

"I think so."

I held the pipe in my left hand, holding out my right. I approached a walker, and it turned to me. It started moving towards me. I looked at it... But why did it look familiar? Suddenly I recognized it. I gasped, stepping away from the walker. it still stumbled towards me, trying to eat me. "What's the matter?" Carl asked. "Get it!"

"I... I can't..." I said, dropping the pipe.

"Well, why not?" Carl asked, looking at me angrily.

I turned to him with tears in my eyes. "Carl," I said. "That... That's my... mom."

His face fell. "I'm sorry," he said, and he thrusted his pipe through her head.

"Carl, no!" I exclaimed. But it was too late. She fell.

I jumped up. "Why would you do that?! That used to be my mom! You weren't even nice about it, you just stabbed right through her like it was just another walker!" I felt the tears fall down my face. "That was my mom, and you just killed her! I... I..." I trailed off, and Carl wrapped his arms around me, holding me tightly.

"I'm sorry," he said, still hugging me.

I pulled away. "It's okay. You had to."

"That wasn't your mom, you know. Not anymore."

"I know," I said. "I just... I don't know. I never got to say goodbye is all."

Carl sighed. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and held me tightly. "Come on," he said. "Let's get you back. Maggie and Glenn can get these walkers or something."

Still with his arm around me, he led inside the gates.

>>>>>Sorry it took me so long to upload. I'm going to upload one chapter every week now instead of every night.<<<<<