Chapter Six

I looked around. I was in a large Victorian style house in Georgia. I saw my mother, my father, and my little brother. They all looked happy, smiling and laughing. Suddenly, the scene became distorted. Everyone around me, their skin became gray and wrinkly. Their eyes colorless, their smiles slightly... Dead. Their laughs turned to snarls and moans. And they all closed in on me. Screaming, I tried hastily to stand. It was like I was stuck to the chair or something, because I couldn't stand up. I tried to call for help, but my voice wouldn't work. All I could see was their dead faces, and then everything turned to black.

I woke up screaming. I looked around. It was dark outside, and Carl was gone. His chair was still there. I sat up, and put my head in my knees. Tears came to my eyes. "Dad... I've tried to be strong," I said, crying. "But I just can't be strong like you. I miss you... And mom... And Michael. You did everything you could to keep us alive. I wish I could be like you were. So you know what? I will. I will be strong. No more kid stuff."

I wiped my eyes. No more crying.

Suddenly, the door opened. Hershel walked in. "Oh, you're awake," he said, sitting in Carl's chair. "How does your leg feel?"

I stretched my leg. It cracked. I started bending it. "It feels great," I said happily.

"Okay," Hershel said smiling. "If it starts to ache or if it gets sore, just let me know, alright?"

"Alright," I said.

"Get some sleep now," Hershel said, getting up and leaving.

I laid back down, and flipped over. I closed my eyes. I heard the door open softly, and someone quietly walked in. I breathed in, it was Carl's scent. I heard him sit down quietly in the chair. He didn't say anything, just sat there for about 30 seconds. He leaned over and kissed my forehead. Then he quickly got up and left the room, closing the door quietly.

I opened my eyes. I flipped onto my back, and looked up at the ceiling. A smile crept across my face, and my cheeks turned warm. I closed my eyes again, and slowly drifted off to sleep.

>>>>>It's a little short I know<<<<<