Chapter 23: Tanisha's Trial

~Two Weeks Later~

Two weeks had passed by quickly, and it was now time for Tanisha's trial.

At eight-thirty, Yugi, Yami, Atemu, and Heba went to the courthouse half an hour before the trial was set to start.

Hiro Tanikashi was there as well.

Tea and Tristan had also come to be there to support their friends.

"Are you guys ready for this?" Tristan asked.

"It's not like we have a choice, but to be ready." Yami said.

"I know. Just making sure." Tristan said.

"I am just ready for this mess to be over." Yugi said.

"You're not the only one who wants that." Atemu said.

"Well, we should go on in." Heba said.

The group went on into the courthouse and went to the courtroom where the trial would be held.

There were a lot of people there to watch the trial.

"I wish that all of these spectators wouldn't' come here." Yami muttered.

"Come on, Yami. They don't matter. All that matters is that Tanisha pays for what she did." Atemu said as the group sat down.

"Well, let's hope that does happen." Heba said.

Ben Sandavolve was the prosecuting attorney once again, and he was busy looking over some of his notes as a last minute reference for what he would bring up.

Marazi Conan was the defense attorney for Tanisha, and he was also going over his notes.

A few minutes before the trial was set to start, Tanisha was led in by officers and was taken to the defense table to sit down.

"All rise for the honorable Judge Hiroto Mandal presiding." an officer said.

Everyone rose as the judge walked out and went over to the bench.

"Everyone, sit." Mandal said.

Everyone in the courtroom did as they were told.

"Mr. Sandavolve, would you care to make the opening statement for the prosecution?" Mandal asked.

"Yes, Your Honor." Sandavolve said, standing up. He turned to face the jury and said, "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am going to prove to you today that Tanisha Harmsworth went to Yugi Mutou's apartment with the intent of killing him. She knew that her actions were wrong and yet, she went through with them anyway. She knew what she was doing, and there is no excuse for attacking another person with the intention of committing murder." Sandavolve then sat back down.

"Mr. Conan." Mandal said.

Conan stood up and faced the jury. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the prosecution would have you believe that Tanisha Harmsworth committed wrongs against Yugi Mutou when he was the one that committed the acts. Tanisha Harmsworth never intended to harm him, but did so only when he attacked her. Tanisha was an innocent victim in all of this, and I will prove that to you today." Conan said to the jury before he sat back down.

"All right. Mr. Sandavolve, call your first witness." Mandal said.

"The prosecution calls Captain Hanel Hanirashi to the stand." Sandavolve said.

Hanirashi went to the stand and took the oath.

"Captain, you were the lead officer on this case, correct?" Sandavolve asked.