XXXII - The Mutant Forest

As soon as Fizard sensed there was a search for him in the palace, he ran away as far as he could, with the support of some military friends. While Mirov escaped through the secret tunnel that led him right into Merko's hands, the captain Fizard and his soldiers stole a spaceship from the central harbor in order to depart and land at the Mutant Forest too. He thought that was the single place on planet Life where he would have the chance to be undetected, since he had already been trained in that jungle along with the commander and he thought he still knew the woods like the back of his hand. He intended to stay there until things calmed down in Zador's court. So, he gathered some trustful men and formed a small army of renegades that would land in sector 13, one of the most feared of the entire planet.

Once the spacecraft prepared all procedures to land and the fugitive and his army got there, they thought they were safe at last. What they hadn't imagined, though, was that bionic robots, half-human and half-machine, watched the new inhabitants' arrival and prepared to attack them.

Reptiles almost eight yards long with sharp teeth also noticed the new visitant's arrival.

"Sir, I see some luminous dots moving in our holographic radars", the pilot warned him. "I wonder if they are Merko and his men."

"I don't believe it could be them, they must still be trying to capture Counselor Mirov. He's their main goal. Study the moving object's coordinates and show them on the main screen."

Fizard saw five creatures going after his spaceship. He focused on them and realized they were monstrous cyborgs with four legs. They made a big noise with each step and the floor shook under their feet. The officers were scared.

"Let's get out of here. Procedures to take off now!" The captain said to the pilots.

But then, one of the cyborgs jumped and grabbed the spacecraft with its claws, making it lose balance. The crew was frightened.

"Make use of the protection shield and create a field of sound waves to keep them far from us," said Dargan, a soldier that had been trained by Merko and was now also a fugitive.

When the sound waves field was on, the creature took its claws off the ship and put them over its ears trying to protect itself from the deafening vibrations. But as soon as they got rid of that one, another one came into the scene.

"Dargan, bring three more men in arms and get rid of those monsters!"

"Yes, Sir!"

He teleported along with three guards and they started shooting the invaders. Then, he aimed at the one who hung from the vehicle and shot it in the head. The monster fell and its head split from its body. It was dead. Then, the other cyborgs attacked them with their sharp teeth and ripped out one of the men's arms, splashing blood all around.

The wounded fighter still tried to punch him down with his remaining arm, but he couldn't get rid of the creature. The other soldiers were busy trying to save their own lives and could not do anything when the cyborg got up, stood on two legs and devoured the guard, ripping off his flesh.

While they watched in despair the strength of the monster that had killed the soldier, a giant reptile like a dinosaur attacked a man that had just cut one of the cyborgs' flesh with a laser spear. Before he could think about reacting, the reptile bit his head and swallowed it. Then, his body dropped to the ground. The wild animal grabbed it with its teeth, shook its head from one side to the other, as if fitting the corpse of its prey into its starving mouth, and swallowed what was left of the officer.

"Let's go back to the spaceship. There are too many of them and we've had two losses so far", Dargan said to the other, when he saw the strength of those creatures.