XXXIII - Merko's Love

They were silent for a while.

"That man must think I'm nuts. I've just put my life at stake to save a sick girl and he's messing with me. And what a crazy joke! Me, son of an extraterrestrial from the future! As if I were a blend of Doctor Who and The Terminator!"

Merko read his descendent's mind and needed to convince him about the truth of those facts.

"I'm sorry if I were too incisive in my speech, but I can prove I'm your father. I met you mother, Lorena, in one of my missions on Earth, 23 years ago, when I tried to save a friend of mine, Silion." His eyes filled with tears. "He was a close friend. We had already carried out some missions on your planet as well as on others, but because of a fatality, his soul left his body. On the other hand, I found Lorena. It was a breathtaking episode, and I've never encountered such a woman again. That's why I think of her every day in my existence. It was on that date with your mom that you were conceived."

"And now you tell me that you're my dad? You gotta be kidding! And how about the evidences? Where are they?"

"Your lymphocytes N are the result of our gene blend. There was a combination between the future and the past. Look at the bracelet. I lost it when I met your mother. That's why I didn't tell you until now. Because now, I'm sure!"

"I..." Nicholas was speechless with such a revelation. The captain didn't tell the boy how Lorena's husband had died, though. He knew the boy would never understand it. Everything he saw in the earthling's mind was the information his mom had told him: that his dad had left to work in the Army one day and never returned. Merko wanted to be Nick's friend very much. And for him, who had never had a wife and kids, that was a unique moment in his existence. A single opportunity to share the rest of his days with someone he truly loved. But he was fallen for a woman who didn't even know he existed, and when the E.T. see her again, he will need a good excuse to explain how he met her. That was the reason that made him decide to go back to Earth and try to get close to her with a different face than the one he had used when they saw each other for the first time.

He couldn't hurt her feelings again, but he was aware of the intensity of his love that, similar to those whose thirst deepens with the lack of water, it deepened with Lorena's absence. After having imagined how he could see Nick's mother again, he gave the young man more evidence.

"That also explains the telekinesis. I saw it myself when you used it in my spaceship. And I'd like to take you to a place on planet Life where I'll be able to show you something amazing."

The commander put one hand on Nicholas' bracelet, and with the other hand he synchronized the teleport coordinates on his own bracelet.

"Now you should press the button in your bracelet, son. Can I call you "son"?"

"I'm not sure if I should go with you. I don't believe you; my father is dead, my mother told me. I do not have a father", Nick stated, outraged and unable to assimilate what he had just been told.

"Please, Nicholas, give me a chance to show you I'm saying the truth."

"Okay, but I do think you have a screw loose in your head to think you can be my family."

"Press the button of your bracelet", Merko ordered more assertively now and upset with his reaction.

Even though the young man wasn't very fond of doing what he had been asked to do, he pressed the teleport button and, in a sudden, dad and son got to a mountainous place far away from the capital. He looked around and saw that there were no people there, just a forest with a few trees and plants. The E.T. moved toward a path that took to a mountain nearby.