XXIII - Wolfie the Robot

Twelve years after the major had gone missing, Lorena met a charming man at a birthday party of one of Nicholas' friends. His name was Robert. Since she had spent a lot of moments by herself, she decided it was about time she had the chance to start a new relationship. She liked the idea of loving and being loved again.

Robert was a good man. He was an engineer that was constantly involved with big projects, and was also a widower. He had nice green eyes, dark brown hair, a moustache that started to turn grey, and was very charming.

Since the first moment he had seen the blond, he was enchanted by her golden curls and her beauty. So, he invited her to go out and she accepted. Besides being elegant, he was gentle and interesting. The engineer fell in love with her and did everything he could to seduce her, who also fell for him. They both wanted to try to be happy again.

After two years of relationship, the woman had a daughter and named her Sophia. Since she was very close to her mom, the child spent her hours with her mother, going with her everywhere. Her father adored the little girl too and gave her the world. He was also very kind to Nick and helped raise him as if he was his real father. Together, the four of them were a happy family.

However, the man had a heart attack during one of his trips, and passed away some years after his kid was born. Although he was about to retire, he worked very hard and was stressed out on a regular basis. His sudden death made Lorena and her children very sad, his loss meaning one more burden to her, who had already suffered many other irreparable losses. That's how the woman ended up a widow again. He had been a nice husband, although she hadn't loved him the way she had loved the major.

Now, aside from the broken heart for having lost two husbands, her dear boy was missing too. She adored him very much and was quite lost without him. It had been the same way with the major: he had just vanished from her life. She couldn't face the same pain again. At least she was able to offer Robert a funeral and say goodbye. And every time she missed him; she would go to his grave to pray for him. She needed to find her son's body, at least. She hadn't lost hope of finding him alive, but she knew there weren't many chances for that. Nick had always been a very responsible boy and he would have made contact to ease his mom's worries if it had been possible.

The mother had done everything she could to search for her son. Every newspaper had a photo of the young man, and even the FBI had been informed about his disappearance. She went to the university to try to discover any evidence of him and understand why her boy was gone for weeks now. The blond and her daughter were alone but, even so, she still had the strength to keep looking for him.

Desolated, she was in her bedroom one night when her cell phone beeped announcing a new e-mail. It was a message from Nicholas. Skeptical and afraid at first, her fears turned into a smile when she realized he was alive, no matter how enigmatic his message had been.

Mom,

First: I love you. And please, don't worry about me. I'm ok, but I can't go back now, because I'm trying to help a friend solve a problem. Please, don't tell anyone you've got a message from me. Keep pretending I'm missing. For the sake of us and little Sophia, please, do as I tell you.

Everything will be all right very soon.

Love, from your son that loves you more than everything.

The young man knew he shouldn't make contact with his mom, but since the beginning he tried to think about ways to ease her heart. After a good talk with Drako, an expert in Information, the two of them found a way to send an e-mail that couldn't be tracked, so it would leave no traces for Merko to find the boy.

Even so, it took Nicholas and Drako some days and many meetings to convince Sivoc that it would be safe to send an e-mail to Lorena.

* * *