XIV - Sanches' Assistance

Merko read Sanches' mind and knew he didn't believe he was among extraterrestrials, although he was astonished with those unexpected guys at his door, with the way they had teleported and with all the technology before him. The vision of the commander in his alien form before he had fainted was still tucked in his throat, even though he still thought it had been a dream or a nervous breakdown.

"This hombre tells me he is an E.T. He must be crazy! I think they have kidnapped me and will ask my mother for ransom. Poor mother! We're not rich, and hers and my father's salaries barely pay my university", the earthling worried.

"Take it easy, Earth boy!" the captain said in advance. "We are not kidnappers and we don't want your family's money either. I'll prove to you we're not from here, but keep calm, please. Do you remember when you were a child and your mom forced you to go to church? Priest Francisco's sermons lasted hours, and you used to be very mad because you had to go with her instead of being home watching TV shows? She also didn't understand that at school, when your friends started to talk about their favorite shows and you had nothing to say, it was a frustration for you ..." The young man's eyes got wide with amazement. How could he know about all those things? "Do you need me to tell you more? How about if I talk about Lindy, that girl you were fallen for at school? Do you remember her dark curly hair?"

The earthling was speechless, but he couldn't stop thinking... Which meant that nothing had changed for the captain.

"It seems he has read my mind! That's impossible! How can he know the priest's and my childhood crush's names? He must be a mutant that reads thoughts, like those guys from the movies, or maybe a government robot..."

Annoyed with the boy's persisting disbelief, he placed two fingers on his bracelet. There it was... He was an alien again, that figure all human beings were afraid of.

"It must be a dream. This isn't possible! It must be a hallucination. Did you give me anything to drink? Did you put anything in it?"

"Sanches, pay attention!" Merko said out loud. "Look at that transparent wall."

A wall rose at one side of the room where they were in, and the young man saw they were placed on a peak that was very similar to a mountain. He ran to the glass wall, looked down and realized they were over six thousand feet up.

He pondered about saying something, but nothing came out of his mouth. He believed himself delirious. The commander came by and put his left hand over his shoulder to calm him down. Sanches screamed in panic.

Right then, Crom also came up in his extraterrestrial form and made him even more scared.

"How is our visitor doing, Commander?"

"He's doing all right! Still a bit skeptical, though. But I'm sure that he will understand very soon that our eyes never deceive us and that, even if we try to run away from things, we wish weren't real, we have to face the truth someday."

"From what I can see, he's not doing well at all. He's very frightened."

"If all of this is real, what do you expect of me?" Sanches said and moved away from those two creatures. "And why haven't you killed me? Please, kill me but don't do my parents any harm. Where are they? Are you invading my planet?" he blabbed.

"Don't worry, boy," Merko tried to calm him down. "Your family is well and we don't intend to invade your planet. To be honest, we wouldn't have brought you here if you hadn't seen my men teleporting. But, since you watched them, we had to bring you with us and now we need your help."

"But how can I help you? I don't think you need a student who speaks Spanish. I saw your men speaking Spanish in the US."

"I'm not going to hang around with some E.T.s and help them invade Earth," the young man thought again, unaware that the captain could read his mind.