Chapter 12

*I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I'M SEVEN WEEKS LATE FOR THIS UPDATE!!! FOR THAT REASON, I HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE (HOPEFULLY) SEVEN SHORT CHAPTERS ALL IN THE SAME WEEK. I PROMISE YOU WILL STILL GET YOUR FILL OF THE STORY. I AM SO SORRY >-<*

I was right, it was a long night. I kept thinking they were all staring, waiting for us to try something. It seemed like ages until Randy fell asleep. A half hour later, Emmie followed. Lucas rested his eyes against a tree while Ashton and Hunter were talking by the fire. 

I looked at Maya, who was already looking at me. She was wondering exactly what I was: When will they be distracted? 

I could have sworn the two of them were looking back at us as if trying to keep an eye on us.

"We need to go hunt," I heard Ashton say, their voices becoming audible.

"What about Em and M?" he chuckles at his dumb candy joke. 

"Not gonna lie that was childish and stupid," Ashton pauses for a second, then smiles, "But that's why we're brothers." he playfully punches Hunter's arm, "Anyway, we could take them along and teach them to hunt."

"They'd get tired. We already caused them to lose sleep tonight. Maybe we should leave them here."

"And risk them leaving?"

I was right, they knew our exact intentions. 

"Randy will hear them if they try to leave," Hunter answered.

"And if she doesn't?" Ashton asked. 

"Then we'll find them. I'm not worried about it. They're fledglings, how far can they get?" 

"Farther than you'd expect if the council interferes."

I cleared my throat, "We can hear you." 

Ashton turned around and winked, "That was the point. We're watching you." 

I cursed under my breath, slightly furious while putting my head in my hands. We need to get out. There's no way we can stay. I get up angrily and walk out into the forest. 

I heard footsteps behind me as I was walking, ignoring them. It wasn't until an arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me back did the person have my attention. I squirmed out of whoever's arms and punched them. 

Turns out, it was Ashton. What a surprise. 

"You know, we should be a little nicer to each other," Ashton put his hand to his lip, feeling the drop of blood on the corner, "I think we started on the wrong foot."

"You mean we started off with a lie?" I laughed at the neglect to add the detail. "You told me you weren't like the other vampires. Not only did you make sure I knew it was a lie but you bit me. Which, by the way, I'm still having problems believing."

Ashton looked directly into my eyes, "They turn red when you're angry." He smirked, pointing to his own eyes. "This shade of red." 

I look at him, dumbfounded. There is no way he changed the subject to something so different, "What?" I asked. 

"Your eyes," Ashton shrugged, "they--" 

"Ashton, what are you doing?" Lucas asked from behind me, his sudden voice scaring me. He walked up next to me. "Are you leading her out of camp?" 

"No? I was catching her from trying to leave."  

"Come on back, December. You and Maya can stay on my side of the camp. I don't trust them," Lucas glared at Ashton.