Chapter 8

Lucas opened the door carefully, "Coast is clear," he said quietly.

We casually walked, trying to make it to the exit without being noticed.

"What are you doing here, dog." Someone said from behind us.

Ashton exhaled sharply as we stopped; he was pissed, "Just leaving," he replied before Lucas could.

"You better leave fast before everyone finds you before they find those humans," she threatened.

"So dreadfully sorry for the inconvenience," Hunter spoke with sarcasm.

We left before she could say anything else, but I could have swore I heard, "Ashton and Hunter have a dog."

Of course, I rolled my eyes as we left.

***

About thirty minutes later, we reached Lucas' house. Hunter, Ashton, and Randeria stopped at the driveway -- since they would be smelled by his family.

Lucas opened the front door for Maya and I, "Mom, dad, I'm home!" he yelled, "December and Maya are here if that's alright!"

"Oh... alright. Hi December, hi Maya," Lucas' mother walked into the room. She eyed both of us, "Why are you wearing makeup?"

Maya and I looked at each other, we forgot about our makeup, "Short theater practice," Maya lied.

"So late at night? I didn't know you guys were in theater..."

"Yeah well it was practice so the makeup crew could get the hang of things," I added.

She nodded, still not understanding. 

"Okay..." Lucas broke the awkward silence, "Is there a way they could stay here for a while? Their parents went out of town on business." 

His mother sighed, "I suppose. I'll get the guest room picked up." With that, she walked away. 

We walked upstairs to Lucas' room, and he closed the door, "She knows something is up. We can't stay here long." 

"Maybe it's because of the nonsense lies we just told," Maya spoke.

"Whatever it is, you guys can only stay tonight. Otherwise we'll have to bring up multiple truths. Including the fact I brought vampires into the house." Lucas looked at us both, "I don't want to put you in danger any more than you already are."

"We need to do research. You said you didn't know the full story but we want to know. Like where did Ashton and Hunter come from? Where are their families? How did they get involved with the council? When-"

"So you want to know the backgrounds of your rescue vampires. Big whoop honestly." he rolled his eyes. He walked to his closet and pulled out a book. Opening the book, he brought it to us, "This book is enchanted to contain each member of the vampire council. It changes every time someone leaves and someone joins. I was sent on a mission to find it and as a reward I could keep it when it was finished with."

I opened the book and looked through it. Most of these people have been in the council for thousands of years... I stopped at Ashton's page. He had only been in the council for fifty years.

"Family: none..." Maya spoke sadly.

"They must not have been vampires," I replied.

I turned the page expecting to see Hunter, but I saw a girl instead. She had bright blonde hair and golden eyes, named Emmie Solaris.

"She's not a vampire..." Lucas pointed out, "I wonder why she was accepted in..."

"I'm not sure," Maya said, "Maybe a connection with one of the council members?"

"She's a sun child though... They probably need her," I guessed. 

"Sun child... What's a sun child?" Maya asked. 

"Well by the looks of her age she's as old as the sun. Sun children, also called fire eternals, meaning when they die they reincarnate younger, but still maintain prior knowledge. They also have these weird balls of light, bright enough to blind someone. The coolest part is they have fireballs that can make things explode," Lucas explained. 

"There aren't very many sun children on Earth now, but legend is said they were born from the sun as siblings, and were scattered across the globe as if they were strangers. Lore has only proven of two to exist so far. Emmie is one, but the other is unknown," I finished. 

Maya nodded, "But how do you know all this, December?"

"You know me and fantasy lore," I shrugged, "Well, not so fantasy anymore." 

We turned the page and saw Hunter, "They've been loyal members for a while... what's going to happen when it's known of their betrayal...?" 

"They would get sentenced to death," Lucas answered, a little worry in his voice. 

"Which is why we can't let that happen," I spoke, "We need to protect them, Lucas, no matter how much you don't want to."

"I know," He sighed, "I'm willing to. For the two of you. But first," he paused, "I want to show you guys something," Lucas' voice was quiet all of a sudden, and he locked the door.

(AHHHH MY TURTLE LIKE UPDATES ARE TOO MUCH FOR ME TO HANDLE I'M SOOOOO SORRY! WHOEVER IS STILL READING THANK YOU SO MUCH I OWE ALL OF YOU BIG TIME I WILL TRY TO UPDATE MORE OFTEN I PROMISE!!)