Grace

Serena POV

I dragged myself through the front door of our apartment, exhausted from an afternoon spent shopping with Dawn, who still wasn't satisfied with her dress.

"It's got to be the same color as my shoes," was her mantra all afternoon as we walked up and down Fifth Avenue, searching for the perfect dress. No luck.

In the lobby I stopped to chat with Mrs. Lacey, the oldest tenant in our building and the biggest gossip in Kalos. The entire state, not just the city. She was glowing with the news that her grand daughter had been accepted at Sinnoh, making her the first member of the Lacey family to go to university.

"If she can do it, so can you, honey," Mrs. Lacey said in a caring voice, patting my cheek with her gnarled hand. "You have a special purpose in life, I just know it."

I smiled sorriest, thinking about the raise in tuition fees. I still hadn't told My mom about that and I wasn't looking forward to her reaction. Right now, university was so out of the question.

My shoulders hurt from lugging my heavy bag around as I let myself into the apartment. Thankfully I set it down on the peeling kitchen counter and walked to the dark living room, hoping My mom was there. Last night, I got home too late to talk to her and she had left for work before I woke up.

The living room was empty, but over the loud music coming from Alain's room, I heard the shower running. Phew, she's home.

Massaging my ached shoulders, I picked up my heavy bag again and headed to my room, passing Alain's room on the way which I nearly gagged from the smell that I have already received.

His door was fully open with piles of clothes on floor everywhere around the room and the loud sound of 50 Cent 'in da club' blasted from his CD player speakers while he did sit ups in shirtless without hesitation like he was fully focused. I sagged with relief by putting my heavy bag on floor as I waved at him.

"Hi, Alain." I greeted.

He must not have had anything to drink today because he only worked out when he was sober. My lucky day!

Arceus knows, I needed a break after the day I was having. Piles of homework, Dawn acting like a dress tyrant, not seeing Ash all day... I hope I see him again.

"Hey, Serena," Alain panted as sweat ran down his forehead and paused for a second, stopping doing sit ups with his hands behind his head and chest bobbing, rivulets of sweat running down his face. "Make me a sandwich, will ya?" He said breathlessly.

"Sure, just let me put my bag in my room," I said rapidly, moving away from the opened door. When Alain wanted something, it was best to do it immediately.

"And no mayo!" he yelled after me.

"Okay," I said, thanking my lucky stars that he was sober. When Alain wasn't drunk, he seemed to tolerate me more. When he was drunk... I shuddered. That was another story altogether.

So why did you tell Ash that he didn't hit you? Shut up, mind. Anyway, Alain hadn't hit me in a long time, not since My mom yelled him out over the book incident. He used verbal and emotional abuse these days. Unfortunately, it worked, even though I tried not to let it show. And even if Ash knew, what could he do to stop it. At least he would know about it.

Then what? I shrugged to myself, staring at myself in the mirror in my room. What Ash knew was more than enough. I had already said way too much, making a fool of myself and crying all over Ash to boot. He already looked at me like I was nuts. Now he would tag me as a cry baby. Ugh.

There was a sharp knock on the front door and I frowned, throwing my heavy bag onto my neat bed as it bounced up in air and down. I gritting my teeth as it creaked. Don't you dare break on me.