Devil In Disguise

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here.."
~ William Shakespeare

CHAPTER NINETEEN: Devil In Disguise

    "I hope Nathan enjoys his last party..." Mark growled, glaring through the windshield at the party going on at the school. We sat in his truck in the parking lot, plotting our plan. His eyes were still bloodshot and watery, his nose red from the crying he just endured. He looked emotionally and physically exhausted, tear stains still on his cheeks.
    "Mark, we can go right to the cops! We have proof." He shook his head, his sneer growing as he huffed in annoyance.
    "Fuck the police. Rachel wanted us to find her. So we could get real justice and revenge. The Prescotts have had this coming for hundreds of years, and nobody is going to get in my way. Especially with your help..right?" He looked over at me, his harsh stare softening. I smiled a little, leaning over and grabbing his hand.
    "I'm with you till the end, Mark. You know that." I lean back, ready to head out the door. My eyes flicker to the black pistol Mark was pulling from his pocket, checking to make sure it was loaded. I took a deep breath, climbing out of the door and meeting Mark. We both walked towards the school, our expressions solemn and serious.
    "Oh, shit, this is like that eclipse." A couple was standing out in the parking lot, pointing at the sky. I turned around, my mouth dropping open as I rapidly tapping on Mark's shoulder.
    "What is that!? Jesus, Mark, look up at the sky!" It was two moons lying diagonal next to each other in the sky. I gasped, shaking my head as we both stared. Mark shook his head, rolling his eyes as he shrugged his shoulder carelessly.
    "Beautiful, I don't give a shit. The world is ending, cool." I ran after him, my lips pursed in concern.
    "You're not listening! Something major is going down!"
    "That's right, Nathan Prescott is going down." I sighed, following Mark closely as we walked along the sidewalk to the school doors. A slightly drunk and giddy Warren came stumbling down our path. When he spotted me, he smiled and lazily waved, the other hand being occupied by a red solo cup.
    "Welcome to the end of the world, ladies and gent. I'm glad you decided to escort me." He giggled, walking up and placing his hand heavily on my shoulder. I gave him a tense smile, helping him from falling over. Mark rolled his eyes behind Warren'd back, crossing his arms.
    "You look good Warren, are you okay after everything that happened today?"
    "I'm glad you stopped me. Nathan is dangerous." Mark tapped his foot along the concrete, his annoyance growing.
    "Where is he?" Mark asked through gritted teeth.
     "I didn't see him at the dorm again. I was holed up in my room." I gave him a look, noticing the smell that came off of his breath.
    "Dude, have you been drinking?"
    "Well, if you consider half a beer "drinking." Mark started walking away from us, fists clenched.
    "Let's go, Max." Warren took another swig of his beer, holding his hands up.
    "Hey, hey...I know this is a bad time, but can I get one picture?" He turned towards me then, smiling softly.
    "I've been feeling like this might be actually the end of the world, so I want to have something for prosperity." I nodded, watching him wrap an arm around me and press his side against mine. He held his phone up, smiling goofily into the camera. I forced my best smile until the flash went off. My arm went around his back as the picture was taken.
    "Well, I don't blame you, Warren."
    "I know, I know. I'm a pain in the booty. Just one picture." He took another picture anyway, chuckling. Mark sighed heavily, turning away without me.
    "We got no time for this shit. Come on, Max." Warren and I started following him, a look of guilt written on his face.
    "Sorry..I just wanted to feel like a normal student after this week's ultra violence. I never hit anybody like that before..I was always the one getting my ass kicked." Mark disappeared in the doorway, leaving me and Warren by ourselves. I gave him a warm smile, rubbing his shoulder.
    "Hey, we still need your expert help. If you see Nathan, text me immediately, okay? And do not let him see you."
    "He won't. I know how to be invisible here."
    "Not to me, Warren. Text soon." I walked away, rushing to get back to Mark. I walked in, seeing a couple people chatting by the tables, a large curtain cutting us off from the rest of the dance. I stepped through, my eyes struggling to get used to the flashing lights. It was being hosted in the pool room. The smell of strong chlorine filled the air. I watched a kid jump off the diving board, cheers of encouragement bouncing off the walls.
    The music was blaring in the large room, groups dancing and having fun. I walked quickly through the crowds, my eyes scanning for that familiar fluff of red hair. I brushed against people, my face going red as I saw people in bathing suits dancing very suggestively on a stage. Making my way to the VIP side, I eyed the mean looking security guard standing front of the way I needed to be in. I found a door nearby and dodged into it.
    It was a bathroom, full of guys and girls. Some were puking in the bathrooms, some were passed out on the floor, and others quietly chatting. I stepped over a mysterious, finding guy I knew from school by the sinks. It was Justin.
    "Hey Max! Finally you've come to save this lame rave party. Wanna get ripped?" His voice was slurred and he seemed to struggle trying to keep eye contact with anything.
    "You look pretty ripped already, Justin. And not happy. Why did you even come tonight?"
    "Where else could I go in Arcadia Bay on a Thursday night? Besides, Dana is here just not with me. So yeah, this party sucks."
    "Speaking of, have you seen Nathan?"
    "Oh, he should be freaking out in the VIP lounge with that Whore-Tex Club. Fucking hate those snobby douchebags, especially Nathan. That dude is gonna go on a rampage soon."
    "You may be right. So stay away from him tonight, okay? Spread the word."
     "Max, I know I'm twisted, but your face looks so fucking intense and your voice sounds different. You okay? How about a quick dab?"
    "Uh, no I-I'm cool, Justin. And I have to get going. Maybe you should go chill somewhere else."
    "Fucking A, Maximus! You're right, I'm only torturing myself here. Plus, I'm too loaded. It's time to get my board and grind. I walked back out into the party, making my way around the poolside. I rubbed my forehead, frustrated with everything going on. I found Courtney, explaining the situation. She scoffed at the thought of my name being on the VIP list, but walked over to the name list. Her eyes nearly bugged out of her head she saw my name scribbled in the slot.
    "No way.."
    "Yes way! That's my name right there."
    "Oh, my god. Do you think I'm that dumb, Max? That's not even my handwriting and I'm in charge of the list. Victoria is right, you're so fucking weird. Well, this is the closest you'll ever get to the Vortex Club Party, promise." I walked away, glaring harshly at the ground.
    I slid my way past people to the other side of the pool again, coming towards a huge roll of pool lines wrapped around a wheel. I grunted as I kept pushing, unaware of the speaker next to it. Before I could react, the speaker tumbled off its stand and crashed into the pool. The music cut to a stop, dozens of complaining rattled off into the air.
   "Whoa, whoa! Who turned off the music!?" The DJ asked, looking around. I gulped, hiding behind the wheel as I slowly backed away. Way to go, Max. Before I could be dragged away by the security guards, I rewinded time until I was in front of the wheel and the speaker was safely back on its stand. I walked over to the curtain, pushing it aside and slipping in. I found Victoria, standing in a group and chatting. I tapped her on the shoulder, the look of disgust crossing her face when she saw me.
    "Sorry Max, Vortex Club members only."
    "Sorry, I'm on the guest list."
    "I'm taking you off."
    "Go fuck your selfie, Victoria. I don't have time for this bullshit." (*Runs around the room, flailing arms. Throws shades on Max, throws burn cream at Victoria, YOU JUST GOT BURNED BITCH!*)
    "Real cute, Max. And after I apologized to you the other day."
    "Do you even have a clue what's going on at Blackwell? Kate Marsh killed herself in front of you and me..everybody here!"
    "That's not my fault, Max. Don't you dare even try to blame me!"
   "I blame Nathan for dosing Kate, but nobody at that party even cared that she was so wasted."
    "It's a fucking party, everybody is wasted! What do you want from me?"
    "Some humanity, Victoria."
    "Well, you got Nathan busted out of Blackwell. You should be happy. And I'm the only person here who cares what Nathan is going through."
    "This is bigger than a problem child."
    "I'm not perfect, okay? I'm a teenager at an art school. I only came to become a photographer and get famous."
    "You have talent, Victoria. You don't have to push people out of your way."
   "You don't understand. My parents own a gallery. I know how this art game has to be played..it's brutal."
    "No, it's art. You don't have to play their way. Mr. Jefferson doesn't talk like that and he's famous."
    "On point, Max. Thanks for admitting again that I have some talent. Not that I think I always do."
    "I don't either, but that's the choice you make."
    "Hard to believe, but I don't always make the best choices. Do you think it's like, fate, were not supposed to be friends?"
   "Maybe, but who says we have to be enemies?"
    "Whoever makes that decision."
    "That would be us, Victoria."
    "Well, Max Caulfield, I could always choose to let you in the Vortex Club."
    "I don't think that's gonna happen, but not for the reasons you think."
    "Oh, you look so serious." I took a few seconds to ponder over my decision. I sighed, gritting my teeth as I stepped closer to her.
    "Victoria, listen to me..your life is in serious danger. I know Nathan is your friend, but he is truly unstable and dangerous. He did drug Kate at that party so he could take her some place..dark." The confusion was evident on her pale face.
    "What? Nice try, Max. But I don't believe you. And why would he do that?"
    "That I don't know yet. But it was enough to make Kate want to die, and I think you're next."
    "Max, that is crazy. Nathan is like one of my best friends. Yes, he takes serious meds, but that's not his fault. His family treats him like a total freak, just because he has little meltdowns."
    "They're not little anymore. They're dangerous. I don't care if you hate me or not, but you have to believe me." I touched her arm, hesitating on if she'd bitch slap me right there and there for even breathing the same air as she did. She leaned back, pursing her lips and staring at me tensely.
    "You could have been a major bitch to me when I got hit with that paint and I deserved it." She sighed, clasping her hands together.
    "Max, I don't hate you..I actually think you're one of the coolest people at Blackwell. Weird, but cool. You just don't know it yet. Maybe I'm just jealous because you don't give a shit what anybody thinks and I do. To be honest, Nathan has been freaking me out lately. He's not here and I haven't seen him."
    "Just make sure you stay away from him and stick close to your friends tonight, okay?"
    "I'll let you boss me around this one time and I have other people I can go to for protection. Thanks for telling me this, Max. If what you said was true, then you be careful too."
    "I've got my own protection."
    "Um, text me if you need anything."
    "I will. Thanks, Victoria." I turn away just as I see Mark coming through a door next to a concession stand. I walk over to him, his eyes skimming over the crowds.
    "Mark, Nathan isn't here. Nobody has seen him tonight."
    "He's definitely not upstairs or in the lockers."
    "Damn, maybe he's hiding in his dorm." He grabbed my wrist, tugging me towards the exit. We almost made it when Mr. Jefferson stepped in front of us, smiling.
    "So, you two made it."
    "Oh, hey Mr. Jefferson."
    "Um..are you both okay? You both look like you're on a mission."
    "Oh..uh..I was just looking for Nathan."
    "Uh huh. I didn't know you two were pals with him. I haven't seen him since this afternoon. He seemed pretty upset. I think he's still quite upset over the Kate situation."
    "Yeah, that make sense."
    "Let's talk later, Max. I have to announce the winner of the contest. I do wish you would've entered. You have to build up that résume and portfolio, but I know you will."
    "Thanks, I hope so."
    "Okay, excuse me, I'm almost on." Mark nudged me forward as Jefferson walked away, both of us hurrying outside.
    "Let's get the hell out of here, Max." As the two of us started to head out the door, Mr. Jefferson was calmly making his way to the stage. He got everyone's attention, earning a few hoots and whistling from the crowd. He flashed his winner smile at all the students, holding the mic close to his mouth.
"I don't want to get in the way of the party, but it's time to announce the winner of the "Everyday Heros." contest." I slowed to a stop amongst the crowd, staring at him. I was curious as to who would win, so I didn't mind staying for a few more minutes.
"Before I do, I want to thank everybody who entered their photograph, and everybody who thought about entering." Mark grabbed my wrist, tugging impatiently towards the door. I looked over at him, tugging back to hold both of us to a stop.
"Now, this is the most important step in being an artist, sharing your work with the world. All of you represent Blackwell Academy, and everything our school stands for. As far as I'm concerned, you're all "Everyday Heroes!" The envelope, please." Mr. Jefferson asked, holding his hand out. The whole crowd had grew silent, even Mark who stood beside me.
"And the winner is..." He drawled out, opening the envelope slowly and pulling out the piece of paper. I didn't know why I felt nervous, I didn't even enter in the contest. I knew for sure I wasn't going to win, yet here I was nearly shaking out of anticipation to hear who won. Mr. Jefferson chuckled a little, smiling at the crowd.
"Oh my...what a shocker..Victoria Chase!" Everyone erupted into wild clapping and cheering, my hands finding a way to quietly clap themselves. I looked over at Victoria to see her hands covering her mouth in shock. She was gasping and in clear shock at the announcement of her winning.
"Oh my god!" She squealed, running up to the stage with Mr. Jefferson. She took the mic, giving him a flirty smile before stepping forward to the crowd.
"Thank you so much, Mr. Jefferson. It was your incredible photography that brought me to Blackwell and I hope I can live up to your name..and fame. I also want to thank all the students for being so dedicated in their pursuit. And I'd like to dedicate this prize to the memory of Kate Marsh." My mouth dropped open at the mention of Kate. Mark squeezed my hand, staring in shock at Victoria.
"She was the real, "Everyday Hero." Of Blackwell.." She received boos and wild cheers as she handed the mic back to Jefferson. I shook my head, glaring at the back of Victoria's head.
"Victoria won. Big surprise. I can't believe she blackmailed Jefferson. Well..yes, I can." Mark shook his head, glaring at Victoria as well. He tugged harder again, leading me out the door.
"Who fucking cares? Rachel is still dead, and I want Nathan's punk ass..now!" I nodded, letting him drag me out of the school.
"Me too. Let's go check out the dormitories." We walked along the sidewalk, heading towards his dorm. Mark suddenly stopped, fishing in his pockets until he pulled out his phone. His eyes grew wide as he read the name on the screen.
"Oh Christ, Nathan just texted me. He said there won't be any evidence left after he's done." I gasped, holding his phone in my hands. I thrusted it back into his hold, pulling him to the parking lot.
"Shit, we have to go to the junkyard right now!" He nodded, running with me towards his truck. The two moons were still high in the sky, an eerie reminder of how messed up the world was becoming. We ended up booking it to the junkyard, parking a few feet away from the fence. We snuck inside, my feet gently stepping around the broken glass and sticks scattered amongst the ground. Mark on the other hand, angrily stomped through the puddles of water and anything else he could find that seemed to make noise.
    "Mark! Quit stomping around!"
    "Right. Just get ready to use your rewind fast if Nathan tries to jump us." I followed beside Mark, my phone allowing us to see through the darkness. We wandered through the piles of junk, keeping our eyes peeled for any sign of Nathan. Mark sighed, clenching his fists as he glared through the shadows.
    "God, I want to fucking kill that little psycho."
    "Hey, I can't focus if you're yelling..please."
    "Max, when we catch Nathan, you better rewind so I can kill him over and over." I gave him a slight shove, shooting him a look. If he wasn't going to be quiet soon, the whole town of Blackwell could hear him.
    "For God's sake, Mark, you have to be quiet! We could die, okay?" He nodded, biting his tongue before his smartass remarks could come through. I could see the lighthouse in the distance, fog barely letting the light shine through. Mark sighed heavily as we walked to the familiar spot where Rachel was buried.
    "Rachel, oh, Rachel.." He breathed, getting closer and closer to the turned up soil. He started running, falling to his knees again. He dug both hands deep into the dirt, scooping it out as fast as he could. Balancing the phone on the ground, I helped him start digging her grave up. After a few minutes we both cringed at the sight and leaned away, looking at each other.
    "Max, look, she's still there." I stood up, gulping and looking at the top of his head instead of the corpse.
    "Don't look at it, Mark..." I started backing away while he leaned over the grave, his face darkening again. As my feet crunched over the dead leaves, I felt my neck prick with goosebumps and an awful feeling rise in my stomach. I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself, but the feelings grew stronger and stronger.

Something pricked my neck...

    "Oh no!" The words escaped weakly from my lips as something sharp injected itself into the back of my neck. Almost like a bee sting from how fast it happened. I slapped my neck, feeling the drug course through my veins. I called out to Mark, taking an unsteady step towards him. My vision wavered and already I could feel the strength completely drain from my muscles. I threw my hand out, trying my hardest to rewind.
    I felt the world flash, but nothing happened. My power wasn't working. I tried again, fear grasping my heart tightly. Mark was oblivious as he stared longingly into the hole in the ground. I tried again and again, my hand trembling from exhaustion.
    "Mark, look out!" I squeaked, my hand falling to the ground. Mark looked over his shoulder, eyes growing wide as he saw me. He stood up, his hand reaching out to pull the gun along his waist. He stood up, turning and pointing it to whoever stood over beside me. Before he could react, a gunshot rang out..but it wasn't Mark's.
    I watched in mute silence as everything slowed down frame by frame. I heard the gun go off, I watched the bullet enter Mark's skull, in the middle of his forehead. I had to watch him fall backwards in the air, eyes wide and frozen as the gun in his hand toppled to the floor. He fell beside Rachel's grave, arms splayed out and eyes staring blankly up at the sky. His blood trickled from the gunshot wound in his head, making trails down his face in a horrific painting.
    "Mark.." I breathed, completely frozen in shock as the drug continued to kick in. I collapsed into the dirt, head hanging off the rocks below. Tears fell numbly down my face as my body shut down. My phone light blinded me in the face as I heard footsteps coming towards me. I forced my heavy head to roll to the side, allowing me to look up with blurry eyes at the intruder. My heart seemed to stop as I saw the thick black glasses and spiked hair, his clean and crisp hipster jacket and blank expression.

Mr. Jefferson...