Everyday Hero

"Everything is a picture...waiting to be taken.."

- Max Caulfield

CHAPTER THREE: EVERYDAY HERO

    I opened the door quickly, trying not to slam it too loudly. The familiar sounds of chatter and students filled the air. I had no time to listen to their petty gossip as I hurried down the hallway.

I hope I have enough time to get to the bathroom..please...please..

My bag hit the back of my thigh as I started jogging down the hallway. A few students looked at me, but I couldn't be bothered by their stares as I continued past them. I can't tell anybody..they'll think I'm crazy!
    I finally made it down the hallway, my hair tickling my face as it brushed by my cheeks. I made it to the bathroom door, quickly going inside. I closed the door behind me, finding the bathroom empty once again. I took a couple steps inside, looking around.

Okay Max, retrace every step..

I walked over to the sink, looking in the mirror. I didn't have time to look at my fearful eyes as I turned on the sink. I washed my face...I shredded my photo. I took the photograph in my hands again, letting it rip in half and float to the ground.
    I looked up, expecting the red butterfly to come in. Then...the butterfly flew in. I watched as the brilliant colored butterfly flew in from the vent, making its way behind the wall again. And I took a photo. I crouched down, snapping the same picture as before.
    The light flashed, and my eyes watched it make its way back to the vent once again. I pressed my back against the wall, looking up at the ceiling. I tried to stop my hands from shaking and my lungs to get enough air. Suddenly, I heard the door open again. I peeked out, listening to their intense conversation again.

"Leave them out of this, bitch!" Nathan said, his teeth barred and glaring into the mirror, like before. The guy was beside him, leaning into his face as Nathan rocked back and forth against the sink.

"I can tell everybody that Nathan Prescott is a punk ass who begs like a little girl and talks to himself-"

"You don't know who the fuck I am, or who you're messing around with!"

"Where'd you get that!? What are you doing!? Come on, put that thing down!"
    I tried not to freak out as I looked around for something to do. I spotted the fire alarm, my heart pounding. I went to go grab it, when I noticed the glass casing covering it. I cursed under my breath, frantically looking around as the fight near me intensified.
    Wowser, it's happening again. Damn it, I need a hammer to break it open! I turned my head, looking at the cleaning cart shoved in the corner by the bucket. Looks like Samuel forgot to take the cleaning cart out of here. I jumped as I heard the gun shot set off again. My skin crawled as I gasped and shot my hand out.

Holy shit! I can't let this happen again! If I can reverse time again, I can help him...

I reversed time again, hearing the gun shot warp and echo in my ears. When they were back to bickering and fighting, I lunged towards the cart. I shoved it out of the way, revealing a hammer laying on the ground.
    I scooped it up, turning towards the fire bell. I slammed the hammer into the glass, shattering it into several slivers. I wasted no time in dropping the tool and hitting my fist on the red button. I ran to the edge of the wall, peeking over it. The alarms went on, ringing shrilly in my ears. Nathan was holding the guy against the wall, gun in his stomach. Nathan gasped and looked up, shaking his head.

"No way." He went to turn back to the guy when he got kneed between the legs by him. Nathan groaned and hunched over as the guy shoved him away, a sneer on his face.