13: the truth from a liar

I lay awake in bed for a long time that night.

My bed is unbelievably comfortable. The blankets are made from thick fur, and the comforter is fluffy like a cloud. The mattress envelopes me in plush happiness. There's only one thing wrong with it-- I sleep in it alone.

I didn't see Loki the rest of the day, and I don't think I'll see him until tomorrow. He vanished after the kiss, going who knows where. The funny thing is, we'll meet up, and then he's gone. I wonder where he goes and if he can take me there someday.

Before I went to bed, I left the curtains open and the bedroom window ajar so that I can see the stars, just like the little window back in my cell. Sometimes a breeze will flow in, fluttering the curtains. There's something so peaceful about laying here in silence. Like nothing bad can happen, because the whole world is sleeping soundly.

Even though everything I'd been worrying about has been put to rest, my mind is still restless. I'm so tired, but I can't sleep. The clock hanging above the vanity reads 11:34.

I don't want to get out of my warm sheets, but I need to take a walk. Throwing the covers up, I tip toe across the cold floor on bare feet, silently slipping out the doors and into the hall.

Asgard is fully asleep. The halls are completely silent. Even gods need their beauty sleep I guess.

I barely make any sound as I meander through an endless maze of hallways. It's surprisingly relaxing and it helps to clear my mind. Suddenly I feel renewed, and like everything is going to  be okay.

I stop walking to gaze out at a huge window near the library, leaning on the windowsill with my head propped up in one arm. The full moon tonight washes the hall in milky light and tingles my skin when I walk into it.

It's funny how I haven't thought about my old life in a long time, as I sit here watching the moon and once again wondering if it's the same one my family and friends watch now. Of course I miss them, but I don't feel homesick. I'm not scared anymore-- not of Asgard, or being kidnapped, or Loki. I want to see them again someday . . . but until then, I'm okay where I am right now.

Footfalls echo from my left and it doesn't take a glance in the visitor's direction to know who it is. My gaze is completely fixed on the spray of stars across the brillant navy blue sky, the sleepy village surrounding Asgard. Loki stands right next to me, leaning on the windowsill as I do, his foot tapping anxiously on the ground.

"Can't sleep?" I ask.

"Not really," Loki responds. "No."

"Nightmares?"

He bites his lip and shakes his head. "I don't--"He hesitates. "I don't get nightmares as much anymore."

"Oh." Clouds shift in front of the moon, bathing us in darkness for a moment before unveiling the moon once again. A cold shiver travels down my spine. I don't really know what to say. I want to talk to him, but I'm not sure where to begin.

But it seems I won't have to make the first move. "Allissa--" Loki's gaze focuses unwaveringly on the view. "Did I . . . did I hurt you? After the . . kiss?"

I can feel my expression soften at his words. "Loki . . ." My voice trails off.

"I overheard you talking to Thor right after. Thor. I understand if you weren't ready--"

"Loki, no. It wasn't you. It was me. It's pretty obvious I have feelings for you, but I needed reassurance." I turn to him completely. His features are striking in this low light-- the way he sets his jaw in such a dominant manner that would make anyone weak, those fiery green eyes, and his lean build. My heart pounds a little faster in my chest, and a tingle zips down my spine. "I needed to know that you loved me. For sure. That I wasn't just a pawn for you to play with for a bit and then kill. The possibility of such danger didn't really feel real until I saw the spilled blood on my dress. I was worried that you were lying about everything you supposedly feel for me. You're the god of lies. A god. "