5: library

I struggle to find sleep that night.

My mind is focused on that day's conversation with the famous Thor. And how a Norse god kidnapped me. But why did he take me in the first place? And why me? I want to question Loki, but I know for sure that he'd never answer me. I am his prisoner, after all. And that's probably classified information, known only to him. Never spoken to another soul.

I lay awake for hours, staring at the ceiling of the cell. I hadn't noticed it before, but right where I look up is a small rectangle window, a small glimpse into the world. Outside, the sky is pitch black, and tiny stars twinkle against it.

Oh, the stars. I wonder if they're the same stars I see at home.

I watch them, deep in thought. Nothing makes any sense-- like all the pieces of the puzzle don't fit together. Thor mentioned something about me being Loki's love interest, but he wouldn't keep me in a cell if I were. And he wouldn't pick me up out of the blue like that.

Actually, I don't know. These are Gods I'm dealing with. Not people.

Another thing I don't understand: If Loki escaped, then shouldn't have Odin and Thor been hunting him down? Loki should be back in prison by this time. If they had recaptured him, I wouldn't be in this mess. And Thor didn't seem that worried about it, when I had talked to him. Which is strange. Did Odin turn a blind eye to Loki's escape? Or is Thor keeping a secret from the All-Father, protecting his brother?

And now that I know who Loki truly is-- well, he's a murderer. He's a monster.

All of it confuses me so badly. I try to focus on the stars. The silent power they have entrances me.

"They're beautiful, aren't they?"

I sit up. Someone sits across from me. His eyes sparkle, focused on the sky.

"Loki."

I don't recoil at how he allowed himself in. I like his presence. The response doesn't come for several minutes. He looks at me, sorrowful. "So you know."

I shift myself a little farther away, toes scuffing the ground. "I would've found out eventually."

"Alas, they always do. You cannot hide from your past, you know." He pauses. "You cannot hide from who you are." Loki sighs. His gaze flits down to his finger tips, where a small blue flame has ignited. He twirls his fingers around it, making it dance in the shadows. His fist, now tinged blue, clamps around the flame, extinguishing it.

 His fist, now tinged blue, clamps around the flame, extinguishing it

"How exactly did you find out?"

I think about my answer. I don't know if I should tell him about Thor or not. "The mythology book," I lie.

"I'm not a mythology." I hear him mutter, and I can't help but stifle a laugh.

We sit in silence again, staring off at the stars.