4: brothers

Today marks exactly 6 months since I was taken.

Days and nights alike pass easily. The man brings me books to read and wonderful meals to eat. I am surprised at how quickly my time has flown by.

Meanwhile, something is budding between him and I. I'm not sure what. But whatever it is, I can feel it. I feel it in the way that he looks at me, almost longingly. I can feel it in the way he cares for me. The fact that I might actually have feelings for him is scary and sends that all-too-familiar tingle down my spine, igniting my whole body in excitement. Honestly, I don't know what to think about it.

I stand up from my usual sitting place and walk over to where he has left me a fresh stack of books. They are worn out and frayed in some places as I run my hand across the cover of one, reading the title in gold print.

ιστορία των θεών

I sit down again, against the wall and start to read it, hungrily. As usual, it's translated into a tongue I can read. The pages are thin so I turn them with care.

The book is about gods-- ancient deities the Old Norse worshipped. Each chapter is a collection of myths compliled into a chapter about that god. I already know about some from school-- Thor, Odin, Frey, Balder, Tyr. But after skipping through pages I find myself drawn to the chapter about on I haven't read about before. The God of Mischief: Loki.

                          L O K I
         ---------------------------------
       Prince of Asgard, Brother of Thor, SilverTongue, Lord of Lies, Jotun-Son, Odin-Son, Slayer of Many, God of Evil, Mighty Trickster, God of Mischief.
         ---------------------------------
        The most unpredictable and
        certainly the most dangerous
        god in the Northern pantheon        
        was Thor's brother Loki. His   
        activities ran from         
        the merely mischievous to the       
        blatantly malicious. He kills for 
        fun and is known as the Lord of
        Lies for a reason.Supremely     
        clever, Loki ensnared everyone
        in complicated problems, to
        which he always supplied a
        remedy- through his solution        
        often engendered even greater     
        troubles.
        ------------------------------------

The outside world fades away as I am brought deeper and deeper inside the world of the gods. I remember something the man told me about the 9 realms-- Asgard. Asgard is mentioned in here as well . . .

Am I in Asgard?

I push away the thought. What lies he fed me.

I am pulled into the entrancing stories about Gods and Goddesses, and mythical creatures when I hear footsteps and a noise outside my cell.

Clank clank clank!

I bolt to my feet, staying close to the wall. I peer outside the cell. A large shadow moves through the dark, making it's way to the cell across from mine. My heart races. I can hear my blood roar in my ears. "Hello?" I try to seem strong, but my voice ends up sounding small and weak.

The figure slams his feet upon the ground. His fist is held to the side of him, holding 2 or 3 slender beings by the neck. They howl and shriek.

The lights in the cell flick on at his command and I can just make out some of his features: long blond hair, well-muscled arms, thick gauntlets made out of solid metal wrapped around his wrists, and those ever-so-familiar green eyes.