6: safe

Knock knock knock!

I look up from my phone and jump to the door, butterflies in emy stomach. I peer out the peephole and see Evan's familiar blue eyes staring back. I wrench the door open and collide into a hug. "Hey!"

He's a lot taller than I am, so I have to look up to see him. I bury my face in his soft gray t-shirt and breathe in his wonderful smell. I can feel his hands running through my hair as he tilts my head back to kiss me. My lips meet his and, closing my eyes, I sink into him, feeling the world slowing around me.

I step back a little. "I wasn't expecting you!"

Evan laughs a little, flashing his blinding-white smile. "I thought I'd surprise you after your exams." I open the door more so he can come in. "Speaking of it, how'd they go?"

"Okay, I guess." I flop onto the couch and Evan stands in front of me, arms crossed, biceps bulging. "I'm, like, 100% sure I failed my math exam. The professor grades so hard." I remember how terrible Mr Smith is and cringe.

Evan laughs at the sight of my expression. "Yeah, he's-- he's something special alright."

"By the way, did you get my homework done?"

"I--no. I didn't. I didn't have time to-"

I can see his face taking on an expression that I don't see very often. Evan is so laid back, but no one ever sees this side of him. I don't know if this is normal, or dangerous, or what. But I love him, so I go along with it. Even though it hurts so badly.

His eyebrows furrow together. "Excuses."

"No, honest." I take a shaky breath. "I'm sorry." I know what's coming. I can't escape it.

"I already asked you to get it done multiple times. I can't turn in nothing."

Tears threaten to spill over my eyelids and my pulse races. "Please--"

Evan steps closer to me, one of his arms raised in a fist. "Then you'll have to suffer the consequences." His fist connects with my arm and pain erupts. Another bruise I'll have to make up a story for. He punches again and again. I cry out in agony for anyone. I don't care who. I can feel hot tears streaming down my face.

I get up off the floor and try to walk away, looking for anything I can use as defense, while praying to God in my head for help. Evan comes up behind me and grabs my waist. "You aren't going anywhere just yet. I'm not done with you."

The door to the kitchen, where we are now, is shut and the darkness closes in around me. Screaming, I close my eyes again as I feel his hands slide onto me and everything melts away.

-

My eyelids flutter open. I struggle to remember where I am. The library. Loki.

I don't move at all, only crane my head a little to see Loki holding me. He's so tall, so I can fit in his lap. My head lays on his knee as he strokes my hair, watching me. I close my eyes and pretend to be asleep again. I don't want this to end. I can feel my heartbeat slowing and the intense fear I felt fades away. His cold hands brush my cheek and the leather he wears scrapes against my neck. I open one eye barely to see what he's doing.

Loki watches the fire still crackling before us. He glances out the window and sees the sun rising, throwing streaks of magnificent golden light everywhere. I take this moment to really observe him. His raven-feather hair slides down his neck and makes me tingle when I see it. I'm not totally sure he's a god yet, but he has the hair of one. The usual fire in his eyes has died down.

He looks back down at me. I close my eyes quickly. "Time to get up, darling." The voice I hear is soft and gentle and maybe a little bit happy. I look up right into those cold green eyes.

"Are you okay?" Loki brushes my cheek again and a worried look comes upon his face. The dream comes back to me-- the pain, the fear. I take a deep breath in.

"Yeah." I lie and he doesn't believe me. "Just a dream." He helps me up and to put the books back where they go.

"You can tell me, Allissa. Don't you trust me?"

I think about it. Have I actually gotten to the point where I trust this man? I guess I have. But I don't just trust him. I think I love him.

"It-- I had a nightmare. About, a, past relationship." I confess.

"Why would you have a nightmare about someone you love?" Loki comes up to me and pushes a fallen tuft of hair out of my eyes. I think he notices something in the way I look at him, because he backs off a little, understanding my uncomfort. "I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me if your not ready."

"Thank you."

"Did they-- did they hurt you?" Loki's facial expression is full of mixed emotions. Worry, fear, and anger. It makes my heart swell that he cares about me, even just as a friend.

I don't know if I should respond or not. "Yeah, in a lot of ways." I decide to leave it at that.

"Well, we had better leave. I don't want my Father knowing I am out, and least of all that you're here. I can deal with him, but you will surely perish. Besides, I don't want you meeting him." I know too well the hate he has for his father. But he says it in such a calm demeanor, and in such a psychotic way, I fear for Odin. Loki's power and his clever ways have grown in power, maybe even surpassed his father.

I walk over to the entrance and the both of us lock the huge golden doors behind us. Loki turns to me.

"I hate leaving you in that wretched cell." He balls his fists up and looks away. Does he know that just as easily as he brought me here, he can release me?

"No, no, I'm okay. I really enjoyed being here. The library is amazing."

Loki smiles sheepishly. "I liked being here with you, and spending time together." It really surprises me how I am the only one that can bring out this calm, innocent side of him.

I have power over him. The prince has kneeled for me.

I smile at him and he takes hold of my hand, the cold shocks my fingers, but I can't feel it.

"Brother?!"

I whip around and see Thor standing in the hallway, mouth hanging open. Loki turns around slowly and unhappy. He forces a polite smile.

"Ah, my favorite brother. What a surprise."

"I am your only brother." Loki clenches his teeth.

"What are you doing with this girl?!" Thor pauses, thinking, and probably remembering our conversation in the dungeon, looks back and forth between his brother and I. He gasps. "You brought her here because you lo-" Loki appears beside Thor out of thin air and grips his hand tightly around his mouth.

"Shut up." Loki hisses. "I will talk to you later. But don't say a word to Father."

"Oh, but we musn't disapoint Father." Thor jests.

Loki looks as though he is about ready to smack his brother. I stifle a laugh. "Hello, Thor."

Thor clasps my hand and kisses it gently. "Lady Allissa, hello." Loki's face is reddening with anger and embarassment. "Loki, you shouldn't keep a lovely woman like this locked up in a cell!"

"Oh, such a gentleman." I tease. "Why, thank you."

"We're going. Now." Loki looks angry as he pushes his brother and grabs me, then transporting us in a flash back to the cell. As he locks me up and leaves, and I can't help but wonder why he is so mad.