Preparations (29)

Chapter 29

A day has passed since she had come to within touching range with Nate. When she glimpsed him coming, she would start to hyperventilate and quickly hid. Nor did she face Kyle either. She was too embarrassed.

“Why does he keep doing awkward stuff like that? I mean seriously?? And—and Kyle was watching!” She gave a frustrated scream. “Idiot! That guy is a total idiot! He didn't consider my feelings, and—and he had to—”

Her fingers involuntarily drifted to her cheek, where he had so smoothly licked off the cake batter, and then to her lips.

He bites a lot.

Her face reddened again as she was reminded of the times he had bit her. Neck, lips… ”AAARGH!”

Infuriating man. Confusing man! Go to hell! She thumped the wooden cutting board onto the counter. And why should she start cooking now? Because Cheryl bullied her to it.

Her eyes narrowed as she recalled their earlier conversation.

“Alexis dear, you have to listen to your elders so start cooking now. Be a good girl otherwise I’ll tell Nate that you are making me starve. Aren't you supposed to be the housekeeper?” was what the bitch said.

Hmph. Thinks she’s the queen if Nate touched her. Alex paused her chopping. Come to think of it…

“Was this guy playing with us? Both Cheryl and I?” she mumbled.

“No he isn’t.”

She gave a start and looked back, brandishing her knife in case it was Kyle. (No she didn't want to cope with him either.) Then she relaxed, seeing the bespectacled face of the twin.

“Adam?”

He strolled towards the fruit bowl and picked an apple. “He isn’t playing with you.” His long-fingered hand tossed the apple up and down while he considered her seriously behind his glasses.

She gawked at him. “How can you say that?”

“I know him,” he said, leaning back on the kitchen table. He was dressed messily in slacks and a wrinkled shirt. But he still managed to look hot. Must be the fortune of beautiful people, she thought with a sniff.

“He…Nate is actually confused at the moment. Just give him time,” he said. Then he leaned forward and asked, “Am I right to assume that you are in love with him?”

She chocked on her gasp. “No! I—I am not in love with that jerk! No I am not!!” she cried, waving her hand around agitated.

“Oh?”

“Yes yes,” she continued, “it’s just that I’m attracted—nothing big... I mean, he’s hot, kind, gentle—”

She snapped her mouth shut before she could say anything more embarrassing. “Why am I explaining this to you anyway?”

His lips lifted into one of his rare smiles and said, “I don’t know. You figure it out.” Giving her his usual mysterious look, he left the kitchen.

~

After thinking for hours and sketching out his ideas, Nate came up with the perfect method to get his hands on information. He had to meet Blake’s mistress, Ms. Sophia Murphy. And they would be traveling to New York tomorrow.

He placed his phone down after giving a few calls. “Done,” he said to himself, satisfied with the way things stood.

He had made the plan, decided on the schedule, already booked the tickets and rooms. Now he had to break the news to the girls. He groaned. After yesterday, going with the two of them doesn’t seem to be a good idea. But he couldn’t afford to ask anyone else. And taking one of them alone would be a little too optimistic in case they had to distract more than a few guards.