Not so lucky (41)

Dedicated for everyone who waited. ♡

Chapter 41

White hot pain.

He rolled on the grass, a ringing in his ears as he tried to make sense of what was happening around him. He could hear someone gasping right next to him and someone shouting and then there's someone shaking him causing the throbbing of his shoulder to spike and he tried to get away-

"Nate! Nate oh my god are you shot, you stupid heroic asshole-"

At least he could trust his teammate to forget code names during a crisis because that was exactly what Ash was like even after all these years in the service. He rolled over once more and sat up, while Ash yelped "Hey hey lie down a bit- dammit you are bleeding" and will Ash stop talking, fucking hell.

"Shut up," he said, glaring at Ash who was right up in his personal space, eyes wide and fearful. He rolled his shoulder, ignored the fresh wave of pain and glanced down to see Grace looking winded, face pale. Past Ash's shoulder, he could see Adam wrestling with the gun woman while Kyle was preoccupied with the Hispanic fellow.

Nate stumbled to his feet when he spotted the children. Oh god.

"Grace the children, get them away from here-" he said turning around and dang he got clipped on the face by a flying fist. Blinking through the pain, he grabbed the collar of the security guard who sneaked up at him and swung a punch. A few blows later, the security guard was rendered unconscious. Nate straightened and dimly saw that his shirt was soaked with blood. Oh yeah, he was shot wasn't he? Since it was on his shoulder, he couldn't do anything to the bleeding at the moment but if he left it the way it was, he would lose a lot of blood.

"Gotta finish this fast," he muttered. He took his bearings as he took a pair of handcuffs out of his jacket pocket and cuffed the guard. Kyle was still going at it with the Mr. Fingerless, who was swinging a knife. Will he be okay? A few seconds of observing reassured Nate. Grace had the children with her and Adam had the gun woman restrained with rope as well. He didn't know when the infiltration-and-spy plan turned out to be a rescue-and-hostage operation but for the moment, everything was under control.

Nate's skin prickled as a cloud passed over the moon. Claire. Where was she?

Just then, he heard the rumble of an engine. Nate whipped around to see the gates of the orphanage being crashed open by a Defender.

What the-

The vehicle entered the ground and a head popped out from the driver's seat. "Hurry!" the driver yelled. There was a shriek and suddenly Grace crumpled to the ground. Claire, the woman who almost got shot, had a kid in her grasp as she ran towards the jeep. Where the hell did she come from and what was she doing-

"Don't come near, I'll shoot her!" she yelled, raising a gun towards the child's head. The girl wailed in fright, kicking her legs out against the woman. Jeez, what's with these women and guns? They had not brought guns with them because they didn't plan on killing anyone tonight but the other side wasn't being that generous.

He started towards the jeep which was reversing when Perez/Mike, the Hispanic threw an upper cut which sent Kyle flying backwards out cold.

Shiiiit. Situation just went out of control.

Claire had reached the jeep and she clambered on to the passenger seat, dragging the kid struggling in her arms. Nate quickened his pace, but the blood loss was affecting, making him dizzy. The ringing in his ears intensified. Jeez, not now. The vehicle suddenly stopped reversing, stuck on some tree root and he took the chance to leap towards the back. Suddenly, he was slammed away. In the confusion, the gun woman had gotten free and was using the chance to get away as well.

"No you don't!" he grunted, grabbing her by the hair and throwing her to the side. Adam may not have the nerve to hit a woman but this woman was taking away children for organ trafficking and he wasn't going to show her mercy. Quickly, before she could get on her feet, he turned the woman so that she was facing the ground and struck her on the neck, hard. The woman went limp.

Staggering now, he stumbled towards the jeep when he heard Ash yelling "Run run!". He thought he saw the remaining two children dart away into the dorms, Ash sprinting after them, carrying a body in his arms. Grace? he thought fuzzily, swaying on the spot. Why are they running?

The next second answered it for him. Agony shot through his leg following the crack of a gun and he went down with a cry. Shot twice! Today was his lucky day, alright. Alexis' face swam in front of him through the throbbing pain and he felt himself curl up in shame. He broke her promise, didn't he?

The last thing he heard before losing consciousness was the fading roar of an engine.

Hey! Urm...sorry for disappearing all of a sudden. I had the chapters typed out but then my laptop broke. I lost heart to write them all over again and things got too busy in uni. I had to sacrifice this part of my life to get things done. I'm in my fourth year now and things are slowly calming down so I'll hopefully be able to get back to you guys with a new chapter soon. 

Much love xoxo