New Housemate (42)

Chapter 42

Black. White. Black again.

Nate struggled to open his eyes against the overpowering darkness, luring him to sleep some more. However, a nagging thought at the edge of his conscious told him that he should wake up. He had some unfinished business right?

"Nate?" Someone was patting his cheek. "Nate are you awake?"

He felt his facial muscles scrunch up at the insistent movement and opened his eyes in a glare. Bright light entered his vision, promptly forcing him to close them. He tried to shift his arms but a stabbing pain that ran across his shoulder made him stop. Was he shot? What-

"He's up guys. Let's haul ass before Cheryl goes mad with the waiting," the person continued. Ash. He could recognize that voice anywhere.

"Up boy we have to hurry," Ash said, "Brackman ain't gonna wait around."

With those words, last night's events came rushing in and Nate winced against the incoming headache. Oh yeah he was shot. Twice. This had never happened before. He opened his eyes slowly to get used to the morning light streaming in from the window. His vision was blurry and tears stung at the corners as he fought to adapt to the brightness. 

It only took a quick sweep around the room for him to realize where he was.

He groaned. Did they really have to bring him here, to this hell on Earth? Disgruntled, he focused on Ash's face. Idiot was grinning, looking unhurt.

"How," he started but his voice didn't come out. He swallowed dryly.

"Easy easy," Ash said reaching behind him. "Can you sip?"

Nate nodded slowly to ease the pounding headache and waited till Ash shoved a straw between his lips. Ash smirked, "How's my bedside manner eh?"

"Fuck you," Nate breathed and sucked in a mouthful of water. However, the act of sucking water in itself was painful and he wondered whether his mouth was hurt too. Pulling away to signal he had enough, Nate lightly licked the corner of his lips to assess the damage. Ouch. It tastes like blood.

"How are the others?" he asked with a grimace. Ash shrugged at that and said, "Adam is alright, can you imagine that woman had bitten his wrist?" At his unfazed look, Ash continued. "Kyle has a few cuts on his arms and chest, nothing too big. I'm not injured, by the way."

"And then there's you with two extra holes on your body," said Kyle from the doorway. He looked like he had seen better days with the bandaged arms and torso. However, the crowning glory was a nice purple bruise on his jaw. Nate raised his eyebrows at him to which he replied with a one-shoulder shrug, "Bastard had a knife, I didn't have my knuckles."

"Oh," Nate smirked. "Bastard got you good, eh?" Kyle rolled his eyes. Ash sniggered. Kyle's gaze turned flinty. "Shut up pansy. You were too busy taking care of your girlfriend to join the fight," he retorted. The twin spluttered.

"She's not my girlfriend, moron!" he cried. "At least," Ash continued in a mutter, "not yet."

"I rest my case."

Ignoring their banter, Nate turned his attention towards his body and assessed the damage. Everything everywhere hurt. Cut lip, possible bruises, injured shoulder and leg. He was shirtless so he could see the size of the dressing on his wound. How long will it take to heal, he wondered, bracing himself to sit.Taking care to not put weight on his injured shoulder, he shuffled up until he was leaning against the headboard. His legs were covered under the sheet but he could feel the throbbing on his right thigh.