An Act? (8)

And the picture to the right is of ALEXIS TURNER!! *claps hands*

Chapter 8

Okay…that was unexpected. Nate watched the play of emotions in Alex's face as she stood in front of the TV. Surprise…shock…embarrassment…hurt…anger. It hurt to look at her.

He thought he saw a sparkling drop fell from her eyes. Then he realised that she was crying. He stared. What the-- She turned away and ran out of the room. He jumped up from his seat. But Kyle was already chasing her.

He sat down again. Kyle will comfort her, he thought. He knew that he was not good with tears so let Kyle take care of her. But will he do something to upset her?

He stood up again. Ash and Adam looked at him curiously. He paused, running a hand through his loose hair. Will she be okay? Why was she upset?

He strode out of the house, carrying the cereal box with him. He quickly scanned the area. There they are. He started walking towards them. He couldn’t hear what Kyle was saying but he seemed to be comforting her. As he neared them, he saw Kyle pull her into a hug.

He stopped. He watched Alex’s arms go around Kyle, her small body leaning on to Kyle. Nate stepped back quietly. Kyle seemed to have everything under control it won’t be practical of him to barge in and interrupt them right?

After all it was his fault she was here. He could have just ordered Kyle to stop fooling around and get the hell out of there without harassing the girl at the mall. He could have done that. But he didn’t and now he had to watch her pay for it. He turned around and walked into the house. He didn’t glance at the twins as he climbed the stairs.

He was the team leader and he couldn’t afford to think of young girls when there was more important stuff to do. And he couldn’t let anyone close to him. Not even his team members. He couldn’t and shouldn’t let anyone close to him.

More the reason to not to worry about the girl.

He unlocked the door to his room and closed it behind him. Switching on the computer provided by the government, he typed in his password. He took the manila envelope on the desk and reread its contents. First goal completed. He grabbed a pencil and scratched a check mark on the tick box next to the words ‘DISTRACTION’.

Next goal was ‘INFILTERATION’. He had to make a plan.

 ~ 

Alexis was surprised when Kyle came after her. She had forgotten that these guys even existed when she saw the news.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

She looked at him, rubbing her palms over her face. She sniffed as more tears threatened to overflow. She bit her lip hard, trying to focus on the pain so that the tears won’t come out.

(A.N: Try it. It works. But you have to bite hard. :D)

“Of course you are not,” he muttered, before turning to face her. “Do you want to talk about it?”

She shook her head. How could she talk to him now?

“Later?” he tried again. She nodded just to stop his badgering. Kyle moved forward suddenly and before she knew it he was hugging her. She stiffened for a moment and relaxed into the warmth of the hug. She hadn’t been hugged like that for a while. Mia’s hugs were different. She found herself liking this.

After standing there in his arms for a few seconds she drew back. He let go and she turned to the ocean. She felt hollow. Her arms felt heavy and she felt as if a load was on her shoulders.