Dana (7)

Chapter 7

Dana stood in front of the restaurant trying to stamp down her nerves. I can do this, she thought. She looked up at the sign, ‘The Hotspot’. Yes she was at the right place, at the right time too. There were a few customers in the restaurant and if anything went wrong she could always run out of the place. Taking a deep breath, she opened the door and shuffled into the restaurant.

She shuffled a bit more and sat down on the table nearest to the door. For a quick escape. Then she hit herself. What was she thinking? She had to go and talk to them otherwise today would be useless! Thing was she was too shy. Damn. She waited for ten minutes trying to catch the eye of one of the waitresses. Not surprisingly, they didn’t. Dana sighed. It wasn’t their fault that she was nearly invisible wherever she went. She stood up and inched towards the counter slowly.

“One coffee and two chocolate muffins please.”

The two waitresses looked at her startled. Both of them had the platinum-blonde hair you can get artificially and their eyes were a deep blue which could have looked nice if it wasn’t for the fake eyelashes. Dana smiled weakly, recognizing them for the blonde bimbos she saw in the TV that morning. They were the cousins of Alexis Turner.

Insensitive bitches, she added silently. She waited until they handed her order to her and sat down on the table in front of them. Leaning on the chair nervously, she interrupted their ogling of a boy outside the restaurant with an ‘ahem’.

They looked at her irritated. Wiping the sweat off her palms, Dana said, “I take it that you are Alexis Turner’s cousins.”

They nodded their expressions brightening.

“I…uh was there when she was kidnapped,” Dana muttered, nudging her glasses up her nose.

“REALLY???” they shrieked. She winced and nodded slowly. She wondered whether she was doing the right thing.

“Oh, wait a minute! You are that girl!!” squealed one bimbo, pointing at Dana.

“What girl Pris?” asked her sister.

“The girl we saw in that security video!! How they kidnapped Alexis! She was given Alexis’s story books!!”

Understanding dawned in second bimbo’s face.

“You are here for the books right?” she said.

Dana chocked on her coffee. How did they come to that conclusion?

“Actually…um...”

“Oh, don’t be shy,” said one of them, taking her arm, “we frankly have no use with them, so you might as well take them,”

“But-but-”

They dragged her to the back of the restaurant and up a small hill to a house. One unlocked the door and the other pushed her in.

“Her room is up here,” called one from the stairs. Dana found herself going up the stairs to the room of the girl who saved her kid brother.

They opened the door and she stepped in.

“Take your time,” they giggled.

Alexis Turner’s room was untidy but it was organized. She would call it ‘organized untidiness’ where only the owner of the mess could figure out where everything was.

She crossed the room and looked at her bookshelf.

She was tempted. Just one or two wouldn't hurt right? There were books she loved and she would have taken them away if Alexis was not alive. But she knew that the girl was alive so she couldn’t take them right? She frowned at the logic. Yes, she was given permission but she had made a vow. Last night as she watched her kid brother fall asleep, she knew she couldn’t ignore what happened to Alexis. If her family wasn’t going to do anything about it, someone had to. Dana was going to be the ‘someone’.