Chapter Twenty Four

You can download this book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.

24

The ruins of Kih Bayar were worse than they could’ve imagined. They looked around, trying to take in the whole of the devastation. What had once been a prosperous and thriving city was now nothing more than an empty shell. Magnificent temples that reached towards the sky had been reduced to rubble. The city had literally exploded. Charred blast marks littered the foothills to the west. Homes—or what was left of them —were coated in black ash. The lingering perfume of fire and smoke filled the air. The people had simply vanished, either dead or escaped east. Nevermind the bands of marauding Gokstads and Pilgrims of Fate, who had abandoned their obligations to the Vicedonians, and now headed off in the same direction. Whatever had destroyed this city was much more dangerous than any Vicedonian colonist army.

Raden noticed the burnt out remains of a home along the side of the road. One wall of the house had completely crumbled, allowing for a full view of the kitchen. The room was small, and the circular dining table still remained miraculously intact. It seated four and reminded him of the elderly couple’s home that had cared for him and Kimi when they were orphaned. The memories came flooding back.

“There, there, child, you’re safe now. Nobody is going to hurt you.”

Raden stared at the elderly woman as she patted his head with a warm towel. Her friendly smile radiated warmth in the room. He was lying on a small cot in the kitchen, just beside the dining table. “The Vicedonians… they attacked my village… Carhay… I have to warn somebody… father said…”

“Hush, child, it’s okay. Save your strength. We’ve already had some other people from your village arrive telling us what happened there. Messages have been sent, and soon the Renzai army should be here to defend us. You needn’t worry. You’ve been so brave already.”

“Kimi… where is she…”

“She’s doing fine. Oba is watching her now. She’s sleeping peacefully. And your dog friend is waiting outside the door. He seems very concerned.”

Knowing that Kimi was safe, Raden finally allowed himself to rest, the exhaustion catching up with him. He awoke the next morning and could hear the elderly couple whispering in the next room.

“But, Oba, we can’t just abandon them. They’re too little. They’re just children.”

“I know, Oji, and I feel awful, but we don’t have enough money or food to take care of two young children. We barely have enough for ourselves. I know it’s hard, but once they regain their strength, we’ll have to take them to someone who can really help them.”

“There’s nobody in the village who can do that, Oba. We’re all simple farmers here. There’s no other place for them to go.” The elderly woman was on the verge of tears.

“I don’t know… we just don’t have enough food here for all of us. They need to go somewhere with more resources, somewhere bigger, and with more opportunity, a place like the capital. They’re bound to have orphanages or schools that can help them. I think that may be our only choice, Oji. I’m sorry. We can continue caring for them for about a week, but then I’ll have to take them to the capital.”

“… Okay… I understand.” The elderly woman replied meekly as she continued to sob.

Raden heard them make their way into the kitchen where he and Kimi laid. He closed his eyes, pretending to be asleep. He could feel them watching them. The elderly woman sniffled softly. Raden prayed silently, thanking the One for sending him and Kimi these two guardian angels.